Moves with many parts showing very slow

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
rdlohr

Moves with many parts showing very slow

Post by rdlohr »

With many parts in the file showing on the screen, movement of individual parts selected is so slow it's practically unusable. If I disable the majority of parts then selected parts move OK. Seems like it's going through the full list of parts every movement even though only a few parts are actually selected for movement. I had one part end up fully off the material without me knowing because moves were so delayed that I must have gotten way ahead of the actual display of where the part was. I didn't even realize it till my mill complained of a soft limit failure.

Thanks
Rick
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-04-23 Slow moves.jpg
Screenshot 2021-04-23 Slow moves.jpg (488.83 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
robertspark

Re: Moves with many parts showing very slow

Post by robertspark »

what are the specs on your pc?

graphics card,
ram
windows version
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

In nesting mode, right-click and turn off 'full tool paths'. That should speed things up significantly.
rdlohr

Post by rdlohr »

Yes, that made a world of difference. Thanks.

Just to understand, why does it repaint every part rather than just the parts highlighted for movement? The others don't need to be painted since they are not changing.
rdlohr

Post by rdlohr »

robertspark wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:42 am what are the specs on your pc?

graphics card,
ram
windows version
Its actually quite fast as I use it for VR. Its a Skytech II gaming PC.
SkyTech Blaze II Gaming Computer PC Desktop – Ryzen 5 2600 6-Core 3.4 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 6G, 500G SSD, 16GB DDR4, RGB, AC WiFi, Windows 10 Home 64-bit

These parts are quite small so they take an insane amount of time to repaint when it does them all. These are the smallest parts I have ever cut so this is new ground for me with sheetcam. Turning off the full tool paths, as Les suggested, made it usable even with twice the number of parts displayed.

Rick
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

impressive pc.... probably not that then...
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

rdlohr wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:39 pm Just to understand, why does it repaint every part rather than just the parts highlighted for movement? The others don't need to be painted since they are not changing.
When you move a part the tool paths have to be re-calculated. For instance optimisation may change the cut order. It's the time taken to re-calculate the tool paths that causes the problem. With your system, the time taken to actually draw the display will be very short. With 'full tool paths' turned off SheetCam does not need to do this work straight away. It can wait until you actually need the full tool paths (e.g. if you run the post processor).
rdlohr

Post by rdlohr »

Thanks Les
SeanP

Post by SeanP »

Yes I get that problem as well, turning off toolpaths does the trick but it's not ideal as you can't see leadins or tool with then, can get caught out squeezing parts in, wonder if they could be shown with toolpaths turned off?