Text Plugin

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
David_Lelen01

Text Plugin

Post by David_Lelen01 »

Hey Les,

I feel like there are a lot less fonts in the text plugin than it used to be. The list just looks a lot shorter and i dont see one i usually used, but i dont remember the name of it either. Some stencil fonts would be like totally awesome. I havent tried to look at it yet, but would i be able to create some fonts to put in there?

Also, i'm not sure how i feel about the new "add to part" button on the text and shape libraries... I was very used to how it worked before. I think this could work better, but i just have to get used to it. Have you gotten much feedback from users on this?

I think the reason i may be having trouble is there may be a few bugs... the only way to move the text before hitting add to part is to drag it with the mouse, if i type in a number in the X or Y box, it does not move. Also in the shape library, there is nowhere to type in the location of the shape, I can only drag it with the mouse. What if i want it in a very specific location and i already have other contours on the part. I frequently use multiple shapes to build a shape i want.
hans

Re: Text Plugin

Post by hans »

David_Lelen01 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:18 pm Also in the shape library, there is nowhere to type in the location of the shape, I can only drag it with the mouse. What if i want it in a very specific location and i already have other contours on the part. I frequently use multiple shapes to build a shape i want.
I also miss something like a box to insert coordinates.
I think the only workaround actually is to have every contour on a separate layer and then align that layer.

Hans
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

David_Lelen01 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:18 pm I feel like there are a lot less fonts in the text plugin than it used to be.
A lot of the fonts were duplicated or simply didn't work correctly so I removed them. I also renamed some of them.
Some stencil fonts would be like totally awesome. I havent tried to look at it yet, but would i be able to create some fonts to put in there?
These fonts use the old Autocad SHX format. Any Autocad SHX font should work. I use shx instead of TrueType fonts because shx allows single stroke fonts.
Also, i'm not sure how i feel about the new "add to part" button on the text and shape libraries... I was very used to how it worked before. I think this could work better, but i just have to get used to it. Have you gotten much feedback from users on this?
Very little feedback either way.
I think the reason i may be having trouble is there may be a few bugs... the only way to move the text before hitting add to part is to drag it with the mouse, if i type in a number in the X or Y box, it does not move.
Oops - I'll fix it for the next release
Also in the shape library, there is nowhere to type in the location of the shape, I can only drag it with the mouse.
Sorry, I promised that a while back and forgot. It will be in the next release.
David_Lelen01

Post by David_Lelen01 »

Oops - I'll fix it for the next release
Awesome! Thanks Les! The X-coordinate is doing something a little wonky though...
And while im here on the text, the alignment buttons do not appear to work. And could you maybe add a top, mid, bottom alignment buttons as well if its not terribly hard?
SheetCam-TNG-Development-Laser-U.gif
SheetCam-TNG-Development-Laser-U.gif (1.65 MiB) Viewed 1041 times
Sorry, I promised that a while back and forgot. It will be in the next release.
That works awesome now too! Thanks! But could it be changed to auto-update the location like the text plugin does?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

David_Lelen01 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:40 pm The X-coordinate is doing something a little wonky though...
Oops. I'll fix it in the next release.
And while im here on the text, the alignment buttons do not appear to work.
They do work but you'll only see the effect in a multi line block of text. The buttons control the text alignment within the block.
But could it be changed to auto-update the location like the text plugin does?
Huh. I thought I tested that...
David_Lelen01

Post by David_Lelen01 »

They do work but you'll only see the effect in a multi line block of text. The buttons control the text alignment within the block.
Ohhh i see.... got ya. Well just a thought of something to add in the future would be the origin point of the text like i though that was. Usually not too important, but there are a few times when i want the text aligned on a corner. It looks like the position is based on the center of the text right now.
Huh. I thought I tested that...
Story of my life right there lol