7.0.3 Update just wiped out my tools

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
rwskinner

7.0.3 Update just wiped out my tools

Post by rwskinner »

The update a couple of days ago went fine and it kept all my default toolset and names.
Today, it updated, restarted, and my entire tool library is either gone, or totally renamed and has useless names like "Plasma, 0.0591 in kerf"

Did it happen to back it up before changing the default tool set?

Thanks,
Richard
SeanP

Re: 7.0.3 Update just wiped out my tools

Post by SeanP »

If you open a recent job file you can restore your toolset back from there, choose save default toolset from file menu.
SeanP

Post by SeanP »

See what you mean there, something a bit different going on, I just updated as well to 7.0.3 and even a toolset saved to a different location is being renamed when opening, that's not what usually happens, just gone back to 7,0.1 and that's ok again.
rwskinner

Post by rwskinner »

I reverted back also.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

When you open the tool set it should ask you if you want to keep the tool names. If you answer yes it won't overwrite your tool names.
If you don't get that message box you probably answered no at some point and clicked on 'don't ask me again'. In that case go to Options->Application options->Annoying dialogs and uncheck 'Open toolset'.
rwskinner

Post by rwskinner »

Except the last version seemed constantly asked me while other versions prior to that did not.
The last update I did last week I guess, kept asking me over and over to I told it not to ask me again but that should have meant, DONT jack with my tool set and quit asking me to rename them. It wasn't supposed to mean, no, please don't ask me, just wipe them out as you see fit?

Maybe I just didn't read the question close enough the 20 times it asked me on the previous version I upgraded to. LOL

I just hadn't seen this that aggressive before.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Originally you could not name tools. The name was automatically generated. I then added an option to allow you to edit tool names. This was one setting in SheetCam. It caused lots of problems. If you had it set to automatically name tools and you loaded a tool set with custom names, those names got wiped out without asking.
In the new release the option is saved with each tool. That way if you save a tool set with custom names you can be sure that they will load back in correctly, no matter what other options are set in SheetCam. This is what I should ahve done in the first place. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? The awkward bit is loading older tool sets. As they don't indicate if the name is manually or automatically generated, SheetCam has to ask.

Clicking 'Don't ask again' remembers your last answer.
SeanP

Post by SeanP »

Sorry I'm on dev vers 7.1.3

Is it in the last release you changed it Les? if I go back to 7.0.1 it's fine.

I save toolsets for each material/thickness to a seperate folder and just load up a toolset from there for new jobs (I have different path rules for different materials), choosing yes or no to save toolset names makes no difference they are renamed plasma either way.
Loading a previous job file keeps toolset names though.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Yes, it's a recent change. From the start of V7.x.x it tried to guess if the names were changed but that was unreliable. That's why I got it to ask.
SeanP wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:16 pm choosing yes or no to save toolset names makes no difference they are renamed plasma either way.
Huh. That should not happen. I will run some tests. Unfortunately I'm out of the office tomorrow.
If you save a tool set from your job file you won't lose the names when you reload it. There is only a problem when you load tool sets that were saved by older versions of SheetCam.
FabLab

Post by FabLab »

SeanP wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:16 pm
choosing yes or no to save toolset names makes no difference they are renamed plasma either way.
Same with me no matter what I chose all my tools are renamed
Northern arc light

Post by Northern arc light »

I just updated as well and lost my tool list. What is the fix.
Will be cutting in the AM any help much appreciated.
Northern arc light

Post by Northern arc light »

How do you revert to a older version of sheetcam
SeanP

Post by SeanP »

Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I really screwed the pooch there. I'm sorry about that. I have just uploaded an update which should fix the tool name dialog. I've also made 'Yes' the default.
SeanP

Post by SeanP »

All good now 👍👍