Move contour to part with mirror problem and some thoughts

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
David_Lelen01

Move contour to part with mirror problem and some thoughts

Post by David_Lelen01 »

Hey Les,

Looks like there is a problem when trying to move a contour from one part to another part with one of those parts being mirrored. The cutpath gets generated to the inside even though it is an outside contour and set to outside cut.

Also when breaking up manually nested drawings, the parts tree still shows "Part of Copy of [part name]".

Another thought, could the option be added to safe a part as a dxf or is that already there and i dont know it. It would be wonderful to use sheetcam's shapes library to output a dxf to a nesting software of choice. The plugin for MyNesting seems to work, but there is no plugin for NestFab and the one for MyNesting does not work with NestFab.
Attachments
Stops-0.750--2.job
(37.35 KiB) Downloaded 47 times
djreiswig

Re: Move contour to part with mirror problem and some thoughts

Post by djreiswig »

There is a dxf post processor that will turn the job into a dxf file. It's pretty slick.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

David_Lelen01 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:30 pm Looks like there is a problem when trying to move a contour from one part to another part with one of those parts being mirrored. The cutpath gets generated to the inside even though it is an outside contour and set to outside cut.
That sort of makes sense. Outside shapes are clockwise and inside shapes are counter clockwise. Copy/move to another part applies any transformations you have applied to the part so it appears on the screen where you expect it to be. If you mirror a shape that reverses the directions. I'll fix this for the next release.
Also when breaking up manually nested drawings, the parts tree still shows "Part of Copy of [part name]".
I assume you would prefer it to say "Part of [part name]".
Imagine this scenario: You copy the part then change it, for instance you change the operations. Now you break it up. If the new parts are named "Part of [part name]", the names imply your new parts are from the original part, not your modified copy. This could be very confusing.
Another thought, could the option be added to safe a part as a dxf or is that already there and i dont know it.
As djreiswig says, there is a dxf post processor. Just be careful not to use any rules as they will appear in the dxf file and make it unreadable.
The plugin for MyNesting seems to work, but there is no plugin for NestFab and the one for MyNesting does not work with NestFab.
Hmm, it should. It looks like they have changed something in Nestfab.
David_Lelen01

Post by David_Lelen01 »

I assume you would prefer it to say "Part of [part name]".
Imagine this scenario: You copy the part then change it, for instance you change the operations. Now you break it up. If the new parts are named "Part of [part name]", the names imply your new parts are from the original part, not your modified copy. This could be very confusing.
The actual name doesnt really matter to me, i just thought it looked funny to see Part of Copy of [part]. Usually i have several different parts for a job on a particular sheet, so the name is irrelevant and i just name the part as the job name. We program stuff by the job, not by the part. Ideally, when breaking up a drawing, i would prefer it to recognize duplicates and copies of parts so that in the job report it would say part "x" qty 50 instead of showing up as 50 individual parts and making the report 20 pages long, but i have mentioned that before and understand how that would be a nightmare to distinguish between parts.
As djreiswig says, there is a dxf post processor. Just be careful not to use any rules as they will appear in the dxf file and make it unreadable.
Thats awesome! I figured you already had a way to do it and i just didnt know it.
Any chance that could get a fix soon, or not really on the priority list since i presume i am the first to bring it up?
David_Lelen01

Post by David_Lelen01 »

Hey Les, looks like there is still a bug in the move contour to part. Mirroring the profile on the Y seems to work fine, but mirroring on the X did not work so well.
Part Mirror.PNG
Part Mirror.PNG (70.24 KiB) Viewed 1005 times
Also, any chance for a fix on this soon?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I'm having trouble replicating this. Could you decribe exactly what you are doing to create the fault.
David_Lelen01

Post by David_Lelen01 »

Sure. 1) Import DXF to bottom left. 2) assign cut path. 3) copy contour to new part. 4) mirror across Y and adjust location (top left part). 5) move contour to original part. 6) copy contour from step 4 to new part. 7)mirror across X and adjust (top right part). 8)move contour to original part. Path error comes up.

I did discover if i mirror the original part across X first to get a part in the bottom right and then mirror that part across Y to get the top right part, everything is fine, no error. The error only happens when i mirror Y first then X.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

After some testing I worked out the fault is triggered if you move/copy between parts when one part is mirrored in both X and Y and the other is not mirrored in either axis. I now need to figure out why this happens...
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Well, that took some finding. It is now fixed for the next release. I also have a new Nestfab plugin for Dev coming up.
David_Lelen01

Post by David_Lelen01 »

Awesome, thanks Les!