What bugs you the most in SheetCam?

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: What bugs you the most in SheetCam?

Post by Les Newell »

The errant feed rate is due to there being a tiny arc in that place. SheetCam calclulates the peripheral feed rate for that tiny arc but the post converts tiny arcs to lines. In the next release peripheral feed rate won't change the feed for tiny arcs.

I have also removed the 'depth of cut' feature so the calculated feed rates will be a little different.
Regarding this I managed again to crash the program. It occurs when scrolling down the list (fast) to the end with the mouse wheel or with key down/up pressed. Sorry.
Fixed for the next release. Please don't be sorry for reporting bugs. There is no way I would have found this one in my own testing. It only shows up when you scroll through the selections really quickly.
hans

Post by hans »

Les Newell wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:47 pm The errant feed rate is due to there being a tiny arc in that place. SheetCam calclulates the peripheral feed rate for that tiny arc but the post converts tiny arcs to lines. In the next release peripheral feed rate won't change the feed for tiny arcs.
Great, thanks!
Ah the post removes that tiny arcs. That makes sense.
I tested with a new created "clean" dxf file and with that it works also with this version. But good to have bad files to test with :-)

I noticed a funny thing with the path rule: When setting the start point in the mid of an arc it generates a single feed command. But I think that is no problem for the g-code interpreters.

Code: Select all

N0150 G01 Z-1.0000 F100
N0160 F152.174
N0170 G02 X18.5000 Y12.0000 I2.2718 J2.6625 F304.3478
By the way: the icons for toolset loading haven't you swapped yet - is that right?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

The icons have changed but I also swapped open and save so that they all appear in the same order.
hans

Post by hans »

Les Newell wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:55 pm The icons have changed but I also swapped open and save so that they all appear in the same order.
No there hasn't changed anything on my pc.
Maybe a problem because I have installed two different versions parallel?
cdedwards

Post by cdedwards »

it would be nice if you could select an outline or two and create a layer which you could place those outlines on. It's rather painful having to switch back and forth from sheetcam to a dxf editor like coreldraw, Adobe AI, Aspire or lightburn. Only one of these even has a linux version. which means you are switching back and forth between computers and this is where mistakes can happen.
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

cdedwards wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:27 pm it would be nice if you could select an outline or two and create a layer which you could place those outlines on.
In edit contours mode you can right click on outlines and move to layer.
Attachments
edit_contour.png
edit_contour.png (65.55 KiB) Viewed 806832 times
hans

Post by hans »

Grid Color
When selecting "Grid options" via right click, the grid color is resetted to black

"Loading default toolset" icons
I installed v7.1.1 on a clean VM and there the buttons for loading the default toolset are correct. But on my machine where I updated to this version they are still wrong. Any Idea?
Another thing that only happens in the updated 7.1.1 is that the machine and workpiece is not shown. Only disable and re-enable this view makes the material appear.

Translation files of context menu
I noticed that there is no de.mo any longer. Have you merged these files together?
But I think that was the place where the translations for the right click context menu was stored. In the last linux version that was correct.
Anyway, this context menu is no longer translated except one resp. two entries.
capture_006_07032021_173246.png
capture_006_07032021_173246.png (18.57 KiB) Viewed 806791 times
Is it now my turn to complete the new message.mo file? If yes - could you then please update the file and remove all items that are not used any longer? (if this can be done automatically)

Path Rules
When canceling "Add new rule set" it seems afterwards that the existing rule is deleted:
pfr_cancel.gif
pfr_cancel.gif (123.24 KiB) Viewed 806791 times
But the peripheral feed rate works very well now :-). Sadly things like "this works great now" or "I like that feature" are not mentioned in a bug reporting thread like this ...
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

hans wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:05 pm Grid Color
When selecting "Grid options" via right click, the grid color is resetted to black
Fixed for the next release
"Loading default toolset" icons
I installed v7.1.1 on a clean VM and there the buttons for loading the default toolset are correct. But on my machine where I updated to this version they are still wrong. Any Idea?
Ah, the installer is trying to be clever. It does not overwrite files that are the same age or newer. I have changed the date stamps on the icons.
Another thing that only happens in the updated 7.1.1 is that the machine and workpiece is not shown. Only disable and re-enable this view makes the material appear.
I can't replicate this one. When exactly does this happen?
I noticed that there is no de.mo any longer. Have you merged these files together?
I'll add them in the next release.
But I think that was the place where the translations for the right click context menu was stored. In the last linux version that was correct.
Anyway, this context menu is no longer translated except one resp. two entries.
Oh, that's a bad one. I'll fix it straight away.
Is it now my turn to complete the new message.mo file? If yes - could you then please update the file and remove all items that are not used any longer? (if this can be done automatically)
You should find a file called messages.pot in the Languages folder. This contains the latest translation strings. In Poedit load your translation then select Catalogue->Update from pot file. Open that file to merge the files. It will automatically remove any unused strings.
Path Rules
When canceling "Add new rule set" it seems afterwards that the existing rule is deleted:
It does not delete any existing rules. It just blanks out the options as you have no rule currently selected. You can select your existing rule set from the 'Rule set' dropdown. In the next release I'll make it revert to the first rule set.
hans

Post by hans »

Les Newell wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:35 am Fixed for the next release
Ah, the installer is trying to be clever. It does not overwrite files that are the same age or newer. I have changed the date stamps on the icons.
Thanks!

Les Newell wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:35 am
I can't replicate this one. When exactly does this happen?
When I start the program (without a job). When loading a job the machine and material appears.
I'm not the only one with that problem as you surely have mentioned: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8526

Les Newell wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:35 am It does not delete any existing rules. It just blanks out the options as you have no rule currently selected. You can select your existing rule set from the 'Rule set' dropdown. In the next release I'll make it revert to the first rule set.
Yes I know that it is not deleted, therefore 'seems'. In the gif it is not good to see because of the wrapping..
hans

Post by hans »

Les Newell wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:35 am
I'll add them in the next release.
I added the de.mo manually, but that didn't fix the centext menu.

I'll have a try with the messages.pot and report you.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

The right-click menus are a fault in SheetCam. There's an update coming out soon to fix this.
hans

Post by hans »

Les Newell wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:35 am Ah, the installer is trying to be clever. It does not overwrite files that are the same age or newer. I have changed the date stamps on the icons.
Unfortunately that didn't solve the problem.
Les Newell wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:00 pm The right-click menus are a fault in SheetCam. There's an update coming out soon to fix this.
Nice, it's nearly perfect. Only the new functions aren't translated yet. I'll do this the next days.

The thing regarding path rules works also now. If you are very pedantic, you could also reset the index of the "Rule set"-ComboBox as it doesn't match the content after cancelling.
hans

Post by hans »

Les Newell wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:35 am You should find a file called messages.pot in the Languages folder. This contains the latest translation strings. In Poedit load your translation then select Catalogue->Update from pot file. Open that file to merge the files. It will automatically remove any unused strings.
If I update the messages.po with the pot file, then PoEdit marks 249 entries as "need review". If I have a look at these I see that nearly all have a wrong translation. How could that happen?
I mean it's a lot of work and I can do this but regarding the other translations - they must have the same problem I think...
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm not sure what is going on there.
hans

Post by hans »

Ok I'll have a deeper look at that.

By the way: when do you want do make a Linux version? I thought with the 7.x would also a linux version come...