What bugs you the most in SheetCam?

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
Vitaly

Re: What bugs you the most in SheetCam?

Post by Vitaly »

Tell me how to buy a license for the SheetCam product
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Vitaly wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:26 am Tell me how to buy a license for the SheetCam product
The easiest way is to purchase through the website https://www.sheetcam.com/Register/purchase
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

hans wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:50 pm By the way: when do you want do make a Linux version? I thought with the 7.x would also a linux version come...
I'm working on it now. I did say the Linux version would come out a little after the Windows version.
hans

Post by hans »

hans wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:58 pm If I update the messages.po with the pot file, then PoEdit marks 249 entries as "need review". If I have a look at these I see that nearly all have a wrong translation. How could that happen?
I analyzed this and the wrong translation is caused by the fuzzy option. Updating with the *.pot-file by Poedit does the same like msgmerge (with fuzzy default enabled). Without that fuzzy option, the strings are just empty as I would except that.
That happen if a program tries to be clever :cry:
In fact that are 283 new translation left with your current pot-file.
And can you also provide the pot file for the de.po? So I can check that one too.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Ah, that makes sense. The POT file just contains the original English strings along with some information about where they are used. When you merge the POT file into your PO file it discards any translations that are no longer used and adds any missing strings. It looks like Poedit then tries to match the missing strings with others that are close.

Edit: I found you can change that behaviour in File->preferences->translation memory.
piotr1951

Post by piotr1951 »

How to change shortcut middlemouse button + scroll for rotating? It activates while moving screen with just middle mouse click. I don't see it in options.
OldHippie62

Post by OldHippie62 »

So what bugs me the most about SheetCam.
To give you a little background, I work for a small OEM manufacture of Automated equipment for the plant nurseries . I run a 5'x12' Hybrid table,Plasma and Oxy-Acetylene.I cut everything from 18 ga up to 1/2" with plasma then I switch to Oxy to cut 5/8" MS up to 1-3/4". And all I have is a forklift to move material around. The machine is an old retrofit using CandC componets, Mach 3 ESS and SheetCam. The Light stuff is not too bad to square up, but when I get to the thicker stuff, all I have is myself and pry bars.I also use a lot of .job Files. Setup a sheet, cut some parts and save a as job, open job add parts and disable old parts, ect,ect.
So here is number one one my list; Align does not work with jobs. It would be so nice if I just drop a sheet of 1" ms on my table and get my number in Mach 3 and put them into SheetCam and have it align the whole job so I don't have to muscle the material around.
Number 2; I love the new basic shapes library, but here's the problem. It does not work with existing jobs. It wants to add the basic shape to a "part", not a job. My walk around is to create a new job, create the part and save it as a .prt file and then bring it in to the existing job.
Number 3;Because I am using a hybrid table, I have to use 2 different post processors. One for plasma with DTHC settings and one for the Oxy. Switching between them causes a lot of problems wit my tool table. My plasma setting will always default to basic setting and I am always having to reload from a backup tool table.
hans

Post by hans »

Was it your intention that "delete" it shown twice in the context menu?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8415&start=90#p28426
Now twice in the same language, but still twice.

Edit: Ah I think I got it. The part to the right should display the corresponding key. Maybe something like "DEL" would make it more clear.
hans

Post by hans »

After selecting "Set part order" a blank window is shown:
Attachments
capture_20210403_231951_06.png
capture_20210403_231951_06.png (21.62 KiB) Viewed 650964 times
hans

Post by hans »

• Selecting "Full tool paths" in nesting mode toggles also the function "Show input paths".

That is noticed when the input paths are disabled before in normal mode. Then this function toggles between "only toolpathes" and "only input paths".
  • Some strings are not translatable
    • In the exported CSV file the items: ToolType, MillTool, ThreadMillTool,VTool
      By the way: Very nice feature, thanks!
    • Some in the shape library: e.g. "basic shapes".
      And for example for the shape Brackets/"Rectangle 4 Holes" the value "Horizontal hole spacing" is not included in the translation but the same string in the shape "Brackets and Mounts"/"Rectangle 4 Holes" is translated ...
      And some shapes appear in more than one category.
      However a cool feature that reduces the demand of a CAD program :)
      Now all shapes are placed in the same layer. What do you think of creating a new layer for every new added shape? Maybe with the name of the shape.
And I discovered a further new feature.
1. What does the value "Plunge distance" represent? I figured out that it is "Plunge safety clearance" + "Depth per pass" or "Plunge safety clearance" + "Cut depth" if Cut depth > Depth per pass. I don't think that this was your intention?
2. Yesterday I had a number format like this, but i can't reproduce this actually...
capture_20210404_120726_01.png
capture_20210404_120726_01.png (7.75 KiB) Viewed 650943 times
hans

Post by hans »

Something that came into my mind recently.
I don't know in which format your shape library is stored but can you imagine to have one file for each shape and folders for categories? So that would be great to expand it by custom shapes. But I don't know if that is possible...
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Hans have you looked at the shape library, you can expand on it (and it would be great if you did + shared too)

each shape is within its own folder and has its own file + image.

have a look in:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\SheetCam TNG Development\plugins\shape
hans

Post by hans »

Oh that's great! Embarrassing that I didn't had a deeper look on the file structure :roll:
Thanks for that hint Robert!
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

hans wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:48 pm Oh that's great! Embarrassing that I didn't had a deeper look on the file structure :roll:
Thanks for that hint Robert!
not a problem, at least you can now have a poke around + in the other folders too
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Sorry about the delay in replying - a combination of the Easter holiday and working off-site.
OldHippie62 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:25 pm The Light stuff is not too bad to square up, but when I get to the thicker stuff, all I have is myself and pry bars.
Hmm, good point. I do this on my own machine using a magentic probe and some g-code macros in LinuxCNC. There's a rather wobbly video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poWJhBFevcs
Basically it uses two points and some math to rotate the coordinate system. The magnetic probe is convenient but it isn't essential. I am willing to make the code available if anyone wants to have a go at porting it to Mach.

I'll take a look at making the align function in SheetCam handle rotating the whole job.
Number 2; I love the new basic shapes library, but here's the problem. It does not work with existing jobs. It wants to add the basic shape to a "part", not a job.
Create a new empty part (File->new part). Don't load a drawing into the part. Now you can use the shape plugin to add shapes to this part. If you want to nest multiple shapes just put each shape in it's own part.
Number 3;Because I am using a hybrid table, I have to use 2 different post processors. One for plasma with DTHC settings and one for the Oxy. Switching between them causes a lot of problems wit my tool table. My plasma setting will always default to basic setting and I am always having to reload from a backup tool table.
I'd suggest creating two profiles. Take a look at this thread viewtopic.php?t=6654&sid=18a46e9185fd7c ... ddc5688365