What bugs you the most in SheetCam?

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
hans

Re: What bugs you the most in SheetCam?

Post by hans »

Les Newell wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:06 pm No. Pocket should not even be displayed. 'Pocket' is just the parent class for the different types of pocket operation.
But it does...
Les Newell wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:06 pm
A little thing that I noticed is at changing the operations' name...
Um, you aren't supposed to be able to edit the name :oops:
You'll find any changes you make will be overwriten as soon as you edit an operation using an operation dialog rather than the operation table.
Oh what a pity. I thought I discovered a new feature :cry:
Les Newell wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:06 pm I could add the ability to name operations, like you can name tools. However that will have to wait for the next dev. Larry (the docs writer) will not be happy if I tell him I've changed the operations. He's just spent a lot of time updating the docs.
That would be nice. Sometime it is hard to keep the overview on complex parts with lots of operations because of the limited space in the sidebar...
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Inkblotr wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:55 pmOne last nit - when I change the operation path number, used to, after entering the new number I wanted, I could hit "Enter" on the keyboard.
I just tested in Win7 and <enter> works as expected. I can just right-click->properties, type in a number and hit enter to apply the change and close the popup. I'm not sure why it is not working for you.
hans

Post by hans »

When I create a job from a dxf file all is fine. But when I save and open the job again, circles are not correct any longer. Only reimporting the drawing solves this.

Screenshot_2021-01-22_13-23-48.png
Screenshot_2021-01-22_13-23-48.png (4.32 KiB) Viewed 764678 times

And a litte graphic thing: The area "Cut direction" could be a little bit stretched.
the same on drill operations.

Screenshot_2021-01-22_13-35-04.png
Screenshot_2021-01-22_13-35-04.png (29.24 KiB) Viewed 764678 times

If selecting in reverse order on align dialog, following appears. And after this error dialog the drawing is aligned to the lower left corner. It would be better if the alignment would not be changed.
If selecting from top to bottom it works as expected.

Peek 2021-01-22 13-46.gif
Peek 2021-01-22 13-46.gif (84.78 KiB) Viewed 764678 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

hans wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:50 pm When I create a job from a dxf file all is fine. But when I save and open the job again, circles are not correct any longer. Only reimporting the drawing solves this.
Does this also happen with the Windows version?
And a litte graphic thing: The area "Cut direction" could be a little bit stretched.
the same on drill operations.
There are quite a few sizing issues in the Linux version. Hopefully the next release will fix them.
If selecting in reverse order on align dialog, following appears. And after this error dialog the drawing is aligned to the lower left corner. It would be better if the alignment would not be changed.
I can't replicate that here. Does it happen on the Windows version?
hans

Post by hans »

Les Newell wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:06 pm
hans wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:50 pm When I create a job from a dxf file all is fine. But when I save and open the job again, circles are not correct any longer. Only reimporting the drawing solves this.
Does this also happen with the Windows version?
No
Les Newell wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:06 pm
I can't replicate that here. Does it happen on the Windows version?
Yes. Usually while aligning for a second time (a different contour):

capture_001_22012021_155540.png
capture_001_22012021_155540.png (19.4 KiB) Viewed 764672 times
hans

Post by hans »

In the Linux version the descriptive pictures are not cleared when there is no picture available, so it shows the last picture what is obviously wrong:

Peek 2021-01-22 16-11.gif
Peek 2021-01-22 16-11.gif (129.27 KiB) Viewed 764670 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Ah. It isn't that obvious but align is a two step process. Select the first corner of a part and enter it's coordinates. This will move that corner to the new coordinates. Now select another corner on the part and enter coordinates to rotate the part. This is only really useful if you are using points measured from an actual part on the machine. Align will fail if it is impossible to position the part so the two corners meet the entered coordinates.

If you want to use align just to move a part without rotating, right click and abort the alignment after entering the first coordinates.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

hans wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:14 pm In the Linux version the descriptive pictures are not cleared when there is no picture available, so it shows the last picture what is obviously wrong:
I've recently made some changes in that area which should hopefully fix this problem.
hans

Post by hans »

Les Newell wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:26 pm
Ah. It isn't that obvious but align is a two step process. Select the first corner of a part and enter it's coordinates. This will move that corner to the new coordinates. Now select another corner on the part and enter coordinates to rotate the part. This is only really useful if you are using points measured from an actual part on the machine. Align will fail if it is impossible to position the part so the two corners meet the entered coordinates.

If you want to use align just to move a part without rotating, right click and abort the alignment after entering the first coordinates.
But when a select 'abort alignment' the alignment of the first selected alignment is beeing resetted :-/
Les Newell wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:26 pm I've recently made some changes in that area which should hopefully fix this problem.
:P
jone6881

Post by jone6881 »

Here are three things I have experienced recently that have been bugging me (full disclosure these may just be operator error?) I am using sheetcam to post code for a small CNC plasma table.

1) I use the lead in option to start at the center of circles, but when I apply a rule to slow the feed rate the lead in does not also slow down. I have to add a redundant rule that slows down on small shapes and that will slow down the lead in.
Center Start Circle.png
Center Start Circle.png (23.75 KiB) Viewed 764651 times
2) I use a pierce point with the drill routine to center drill start holes, why does it list the layer and drill twice? I assumed this was for a drill and center drill option, but I cannot deselect.
Center Drill.png
Center Drill.png (26.1 KiB) Viewed 764651 times
3) Could the option be added to the rules selection to control the feed rate directly instead of using a percentage?
Cutting Rules.png
Cutting Rules.png (18.54 KiB) Viewed 764651 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Les Newell wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:06 pm I could add the ability to name operations, like you can name tools. However that will have to wait for the next dev. Larry (the docs writer) will not be happy if I tell him I've changed the operations. He's just spent a lot of time updating the docs.
This ability will be in the next release. You can edit the name in the operation table or by clicking on the selected operation on the operations window (the same way changing part names works). Tools names can also be edited in the tools window in the same way.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Inkblotr wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:55 pm One last nit - when I change the operation path number, used to, after entering the new number I wanted, I could hit "Enter" on the keyboard. Now I have to tab to or click the mouse on the "OK" button. It also takes MUCH longer to refresh after clicking the "OK" button, causing me to have to waste time waiting on the software.
I just tested with a job containing about 1700 start points and it was pretty quick. Could you send me a job file that demonstrates the issue.
SeanP

Post by SeanP »

Maybe I'm not seeing it but what's the best way of cutting a part from a drop on the inside of another part?

There doesn't seem to be a easy way of picking the cutting order, nesting in job option does't cover this, using set part order from nesting/right click sort of works but very confusing with many duplicates.

I know I can cut all the inner parts first and then run a separate file for the rest, but just feel there could be a better way?

Parts.jpg
Parts.jpg (133.48 KiB) Viewed 764575 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

If you switch to 'manual optimisation (keep parts together)' you can drag parts up and down the list. You can even multi-select parts and drag whole groups up and down the list.
SeanP

Post by SeanP »

Ah hadn't played with that to be honest, I'll give it a try, thanks