Break up nest

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
SeanP

Break up nest

Post by SeanP »

Just wondering if I am doing this right, I'm bringing in a full sheet of nested parts, select all inside holes then add operation to holes and also outside cuts.
Then break apart which leaves all the separate parts on with operations applied to each part, then I go over all the start points usually moved to a preferred corner or space, all this goes well and saves time over adding parts using sheetcam.

I like to keep adding all the parts/ sheets into the same job file but as more get added sheetcam gets very sluggish, likes of the job file attached it takes a good while to open, just wondering is there a better way in my method?
Attachments
Nest 1.dxf
(147.47 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
6mm.job
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 54 times
djreiswig

Re: Break up nest

Post by djreiswig »

You shouldn't have to break up the parts if you're just moving start points. You should be able to move them individually.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

It takes a little while for each part to load. This is not normally noticeable but you have hundreds of parts so the individual load times add up. It would be faster if you didn't break up the sheet into individual parts.

Do you find it sluggish once the job is loaded? I played around with it for a little while and it seemed to be reasonably reponsive considering how many parts you have.
SeanP

Post by SeanP »

Once job is loaded it's good at most things, just adding one more part from another single part dxf is very slow though, I can keep it to say 2 sheets and would be ok so it's not really a problem.

If I could think of a way of cutting each part on the nested sheet ie; holes first then outer cut I wouldn't go for breaking up first but I can't come up with a good way, I can also choose which parts cut first as well, maybe there is a better way?
Thanks
SeanP

Post by SeanP »

I know if you could just use one operation to cut holes and outside cut and that would do it, but the cut rules I use and leadins don't work well together, sometimes on baseplates I don't even use a outer leadin to squeeze parts in.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Yes, adding part sgets slower when you have more parts. I will look into optimizing this.
In your cut operation go to the 'Cut path' tab and set 'Cutting rules' to 'Keep parts together'. This will cut each part completely before moving to the next.

You can play with the cut direction to see if the automatic cut order suits. You can also manually change the start point order in start point mode. If it's just one or two start points, right click on the start point and sleect 'Properties'. Set the 'order' number to suit. If you want to change all of the start points right-click and select 'quick cut sequence'. Now click on the start points in the order you want to cut. WARNING: If you manually change the start point order, automatic optimization will be turned off. It now won't automatically order inside cuts before outside cuts. You can turn auto optimization back on in the 'cut path' tab.