edit basic contours in sheetcam

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
David_Lelen01

edit basic contours in sheetcam

Post by David_Lelen01 »

Hey Les,

Would it be possible without a terrible amount of work to make sheetcam able to edit basic properties of imported drawings. Like say I want to change the diameter of a circle. Would this be possible? And if you're really feeling fancy, maybe make a trim/extend tool to chop off a stray line?

I'm sure that is way out of the scope of sheetcam, but thought I would ask anyways. I find myself a lot of times needing to go back and change a hole diameter in Rev2 of a part after I have already added text in sheetcam for bend notes. If I reload the DXF then I lose all the text and have to regenerate all of that. So either text import or basic contour editing would be awesome if at all possible.

Thanks!
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: edit basic contours in sheetcam

Post by Les Newell »

I have always tried to keep away from adding CAD functionality. The problem is that if I add a tweaking tools people are going to want more tools until it ends up full CAD/CAM. Doing CAD right is a big job and I simply don't have the resources to do that and work on the CAM side as well. As I head towards retirement I'm trying to reduce the number of big projects on my plate, not increase them.

I can't support text in dxf files, simply because no two CAD packages implement text in the same way. In several CAD packages the implementation is so bad that if you export a dxf containing text then import it back in the text changes!

Does your cad package support SVG? It wouldn't be too hard to add text to the new SVG import filter used in the beta version.
David_Lelen01

Post by David_Lelen01 »

Understandable. People are never satisfied and always want more haha.

Surprisingly, I can import SVG files but cannot export them. that seems rather odd. Oh well.

Well how about the ability to copy contours from one part and paste into another part? Is that more doable?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

That should be doable. I'll put it on the to-do list.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Well how about the ability to copy contours from one part and paste into another part? Is that more doable?
The next beta or dev (whichever comes out first) will have have the option to move/copy contours to other parts.