Drawing import Options

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
David_Lelen01

Drawing import Options

Post by David_Lelen01 »

Hey Les,

Would it be possible to add the the drawing import dialog the option to enter specific coordinates to place the drawing when imported? You have corners, current position, origin, etc. Could you add specific coordinates. And probably getting too complicated here, but maybe add the option to rotate the drawing before the alignment is done. It would just save a few steps of importing, rotating, and then realigning.

Also on the drawing import options, i do not see where the arc fitting tolerance does anything. No matter what i set it to, if i have the segments to use set to 2, it will try to put an arc in some really unusual places, regardless of the tolerance. Kind of makes sense though, if the arc fitting is based on the end points of the line and not the actual line itself.

And while we're in the options dialog... The start point tool clearance seems to do nothing for the jet operations. No matter what i set it on, it still places it wherever and even sometimes places it into other parts. i thought setting it on 200% should place it with the tip of the leadin at least the distance of the leadin away from another part, but it doesn't.
And on the subject of leadins, could an option for preferred start location such as corners, midpoint, center, etc be added?

Thanks for the awesome program Les!
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: Drawing import Options

Post by Les Newell »

Would it be possible to add the the drawing import dialog the option to enter specific coordinates to place the drawing when imported?

After importing the drawing you can simply enter coordinates using the boxes at the bottom of the main window. If you had coordinates in drawing import options would you pretty much set and forget or would you change them for pretty much every drawing?
Also on the drawing import options, i do not see where the arc fitting tolerance does anything.
Arc fitting tolerance controls how close the segments have to be to the arc. Basically it is the maximum error you can tolerate. If you make it too large you can end up with some pretty wild arcs.
No matter what i set it to, if i have the segments to use set to 2, it will try to put an arc in some really unusual places
I'd recommend an absolute minimum of 3 or 4 for the number of segments.
And while we're in the options dialog... The start point tool clearance seems to do nothing for the jet operations.
This only has an effect if there is not much room for the leadin. This value controls the minimum distance between the pierce point and any other nearby cut paths. However it only works with the current operation. It does not look at other operations or other parts.
And on the subject of leadins, could an option for preferred start location such as corners, midpoint, center, etc be added?
The current code prefers corners. I could make this configurable. I'm a bit tied up with other work so remind me in a month and I'll take a look.
David_Lelen01

Post by David_Lelen01 »

After importing the drawing you can simply enter coordinates using the boxes at the bottom of the main window. If you had coordinates in drawing import options would you pretty much set and forget or would you change them for pretty much every drawing?
Ok, i didn't realize you could do that. That will work for me i suppose. Most of the time i set it to 0,0 but sometimes i import another drawing on another part and wanted to just type in the coordinates when i import it, but i can do it from the status bar.
Arc fitting tolerance controls how close the segments have to be to the arc. Basically it is the maximum error you can tolerate. If you make it too large you can end up with some pretty wild arcs.
Yeah, it's not affecting anything for me as far as i can see. I have it set at 0.001" and occasionaly i will get unrealistic arcs that are inches off of the original lines. I'll send it to you next time it happens.
This only has an effect if there is not much room for the leadin. This value controls the minimum distance between the pierce point and any other nearby cut paths. However it only works with the current operation. It does not look at other operations or other parts.
Yeah, its doing absolutely nothing for me. Same part, same operation, and the start points are nearly touching other cut paths. (See attached)
leadins.PNG
leadins.PNG (182.53 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
The current code prefers corners. I could make this configurable. I'm a bit tied up with other work so remind me in a month and I'll take a look.
Ok, i'll bring it back up in a few weeks.

Thanks Les
David_Lelen01

Post by David_Lelen01 »

Sorry Les, but this one too...
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

This one will take a while. Remind me in a couple of weeks.