The story of SheetCam?

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
djreiswig

The story of SheetCam?

Post by djreiswig »

No luck over on the chat forum. Maybe I'll get a response over here.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8189
Posted this over on the CandCNC forum and got an interesting story.
https://www.candcnc.net/supportforum/vi ... =23&t=2743

Maybe Les would care to share the history of SheetCam.
robertspark

Re: The story of SheetCam?

Post by robertspark »

The candcnc forum is a closed forum
.... Cannot read anything on there unless registered.....

How about a copy and paste? From there to here?
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

robertspark

Post by robertspark »

No, the link works fine.... the problem is you cannot read the link unless you are a registered user on the CandCNC forum (screenshot below).
Attachments
2020-02-14 21_16_43-Window.png
2020-02-14 21_16_43-Window.png (31.77 KiB) Viewed 1610 times
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I always find it interesting to hear the history of companies I deal with. I haven't see a whole lot about CandCNC. By the logo art I'm guessing the C and C are the initials of the founders, Tom C being one. And the NC stands for numeric control. Or maybe I'm way off.

It was originally done that way because it was me (tom CAUDLE) and Jim CULLINS for a short time. Now its me and my wife (th eother "C" who handles all of the accounting, purchasing and office staff. Fourhills Designs is the actual original DBA while CandCNC is a trade name and website. A few other interesting tidbits:
Originally after leaving years of Network and IT experience , I fell back on my many years of electronics design experience (1970's to 1985) and working with old CNC equipment, to set up my own decorative plasma cutting. I figured out early on I needed a THC or I was going to go broke buying consumables for my old Miller 500 junker. I could not justify paying thousands for a THC. so I designed a simple Up and DOWN unit (that later became the THC300 sold by Campbell Designs) Some of the early MACH manuals has the circuit for the THC I published and I had been using the Master 5 motion control program and Art Fenerty was getting ready to introduce MACH1 . I contacted and worked with him to put in the internal THC logic (2001) to work with the original THC 300 design. The THC300 was a simple knob twister THC. The user adjusted as it cut to hold the height. Later after lots of requests for a better THC, I worked with Jim Cullins to do the MP1000-THC . It was the first add - on digital torch height control for MACH and for the DIY table builders. For several years we sold individual boards and our THC to the DIY market and a few table manufacturers. In 2005 we were asked to do a full controller . I fell back on my design experience with linear and switching power supplies and built the SPSC full controller. We upgraded the MP1000 several rimes to the MP1000-C and in 2006 we introduced the MP3000 series . It went though roughly 10 revisions over several years and we introduced the "all-in-one" controller with the MP3000 built in. The ESP was our first full controller built in a modular concept where modules could be swapped out rather than one big main card.

Moses McKnight joined me in 2006 and brought internal programming to the company and was the second full-time employee . We have evolved our products over 16 years as new technology , new software and new faster microprocessors became available.

We have tripled our manufacturing space in the past 6 years and added a full CNC machine shop. A lot has changed in 16 years and the market is flooded with cards and cheap THC options. We have continued to innovate and add features and options. We just introduced the G5 Bladerunner controllerhttps://www.candcnc.net/store-home/most-popular-bundle/ that is the next major generation of affordable , compact, high speed CNC controllers that can use our modular DTHC 5 plug-in card to do fast response THC cutting

We could not be here without our customers , many of whom have been with us for years and have bought new or upgraded systems.
Thanks. There are more good things to come
TOMcaudle