Cutting stone - Diamond wire saw

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
greg9504

Cutting stone - Diamond wire saw

Post by greg9504 »

Hello,

Two questions:
- is there a way to specify the start points in exact coordinates, instead of with the mouse?
- is there a way to have the start points 'snap to grid'?

I'd find those features handy for my application. I run two post processors over the same drawing. First pass drills holes, second pass does the cutting. If I create a second operation (different tool) the default start points are not the same as the ones I set in the first operation. Trying to pick the same start points with the mouse isn't doable. So what I do now is have just one operation, and then after I post with the first tool, I edit the operation and change the tool and use another post.

Here's a video of the machine (I talk about SheetCAM at the 5min mark). SheetCAM made doing the inner cuts possible, the post processor tools are awesome. Before I was using a foam wire saw CAM package, but that would just create a cut path that went through the material for the inner contours. Thanks for making SheetCAM!

FWIW I've attached my posts in case anyone might need a similar approach.
Video
https://youtu.be/ncuJbjyyBKQ
Attachments
SheetCAM_DiamondWireSawPost.zip
(2.48 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: Cutting stone - Diamond wire saw

Post by Les Newell »

I really like seeing the more unusual uses for SheetCam.

You can copy start points between operations. Right-click on the operation and select 'copy start points from'. Unfortunately that won't help with drilling because drilling doesn't use start points in the same way.

For your application I'd suggest making a custom post that outputs the drilling code in OnPenDown(). OnMove(), OnRapid() and OnArc() can be left out of that post because all you are interested in is the start point. I can write the post for you if you want.

Are you feeding the drill by hand when drilling?
greg9504

Re: Cutting stone - Diamond wire saw

Post by greg9504 »

Hi Lee,

Thanks for the tip on copying the start points. I'll give that a try.
And yes that is what I do now. I created a post that I call "predrill" that I use with "jet cutting operation". The post is pretty much empty except for tool change, penup/down, and rapid. That handles moving the drill to each start point.

Yes I am feeding the drill by hand. Depending on stone thickness the drill bit has to be remove a number of times to remove the core from the bit, so there isn't much point in automating it.

Greg.