Plasma Torch Will not Lift up during cut.

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
Ghscncclass

Plasma Torch Will not Lift up during cut.

Post by Ghscncclass »

Recently I have been having problems with the generated g-code product of my drawings. I will have them inserted into sheetcam, make an operation, and then save that as a g-code. While running the g-code, it will be cutting fine and then get to a place in the drawing and stop. Even if you skip this section of the drawing and just skip ahead it continuously does it. This is not just on one drawing. Also, there are times where it will make one cut and go to move to the next cut but it will not pick the torch so it drags across the metal. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
robertspark

Re: Plasma Torch Will not Lift up during cut.

Post by robertspark »

What CNC motion control software are you using?

Is it licenced?

I believe that sometimes if using software such as mach3 without a legitimate licence there could be bugs added to the motion to give a poor cut

Can you post some of your code?
mancavedweller

Re: Plasma Torch Will not Lift up during cut.

Post by mancavedweller »

This is how I approach problems like this. You've got two completely independent software programs here.

You have Sheetcam which creates the gcode.

You give that gcode to your CNC controller software, which executes each gcode line sequentially.

What gcode line is the program stopping on. Remember the CNC software should do exactly what it it being commanded to do by the gcode. Is is doing that.

You can take one of two approaches to this CNC game. Treat it like a black box, or learn the few gcode commands that typically get used in torch cutting. Then you will know if the generated gcode is wrong (issue within Sheetcam), or the CNC controller is not executing that gcode correctly.

Post your Sheetcam job file and the generated gcode file.
Also take a screenshot which shows where the gcode is stopping.
Same for the end of cut where the torch starts dragging to the next cut. Is the CNC software doing exactly what it is being told to do.

I also use single stepping in my CNC software. I turn off THC control and this allows me to run a program with the torch off. I can then single step through each gcode line, confirming the torch is doing exactly what the gcode is telling it to do.

Once you learn basic gcode, this all becomes very easy but more important, very handy.