toolpath offset in post processor

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
David_Lelen01

toolpath offset in post processor

Post by David_Lelen01 »

Hi everyone,

My plasma machine programs the kerf width on the machine interface and only requires a toolpath be generated by SheetCAM. I need to modify the post to allow for this, but i am unable to figure out how. It is a Burny Phantom2. I know the G-code i need to write is G41 for inside offsets and G42 for outside offsets, but i am not able to find a SheetCAM variable to associate that with.

I tried the code below, but "toolOffset" always seems to return 0.0000. I though it would be either a positive or negative number, but it does not appear to be what i was looking for. Can anyone offer any advice? Or any method to accomplish this?

-- post.NonModalNumber ("(Offset ", toolOffset, "0.000##")
-- post.Text(")")
-- post.Eol()
-- if (toolOffset > 0) then
-- post.Text("G41")
-- elseif (toolOffset < 0) then
-- post.Text("G42")
-- else post.Text("G40")
-- end
-- post.Eol()

Thanks,

David
David_Lelen01

Re: toolpath offset in post processor

Post by David_Lelen01 »

I have figured out a method to accomplish this using the function OnOffsetLeft, OnOffsetRight, etc. if anyone runs into this again.

Thanks
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

That is experimental so I can't guarantee it will work. Leadins in particular may behave oddly.
David_Lelen01

Post by David_Lelen01 »

Thank you for the warning Les. I will be sure to continue checking behind it to make sure it does as intended. So far it has worked without any issues.

I can say that the offset seems to be applied after the PenDown function. For my machine, the offset needs to happen before the PenDown command which is used to start the arc. I found a way to code around that and have the post write the offset first, but it is not fool-proof.