Center punch only works once an operation

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
jacky elliott

Center punch only works once an operation

Post by jacky elliott »

I am having an issue with marking points with my plasma cutter for manual drilling. The operation consists of putting drilling points on another layer, and creating a drill operation with "CenterPunch" tool. Problem comes with the second center punch. First punch the torch fires for a moment and turns off. When it moves to the second point the torch doesn't actually fire and the code stops in Mach 3. If I then back up the code to the the previous M05 and start from there the torch will fire. This has to be done for every point after that.
Looking at the Post, CandCNC post DTHC-HYT-TAP_SoftPierce+Marker-rev 11J, I notice that there should be a G04 placed after the M03. Obviously some criteria is not met. I need someone smarter than me to look at this and tell me what is not GEEHAWing. Thanks
Attachments
a.jpg
a.jpg (798.34 KiB) Viewed 2990 times
djreiswig

Re: Center punch only works once an operation

Post by djreiswig »

I'd say it looks like the tool you are using is not set up correctly to trigger the special center punch part of the post. I don't use this function, but I believe the torch should fire in the air the first time so the post air is running when it fires the subsequent times to make the marks. This isn't happening in your code, so I think the problem is with your tool type.
jacky elliott

Post by jacky elliott »

I agree it's something like that, but I don't know any options to fix it. This seems to be the correct route but I don't see any optional tool types or if it is the operation. Either way, just not sure what avenue to take from here. In the post it shows the correct operation if it is a drill tool. I am assuming that my setup doesn't fall under that.

I manually input a G04 pause of .5 in the code behind each hole in the drill operation. Worked fine, and as expected the first drill is stronger than all subsequent ones. I assume that is the nature of the plasma cutter (PM65). Can't imagine that having anything to do with code. I wonder if there would be a way to post a shorter G04 pause time for the first pierce, and a different time for the following pierces.
jacky elliott

Post by jacky elliott »

At the end of "pen down" there is a section for, else -- not a marker or drill tool or plate engraver. I am 85% sure my stuff is falling in here. With that said, I went back and added a pierce delay to my T6 centerpunch tool. It added a pause. So this should work, but it still isn't right. Hopefully someone can shed some light on what I have wrong. I hate using the back door to get it going.
Attachments
Screenshot (18).png
Screenshot (18).png (186.87 KiB) Viewed 2978 times
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

I think your problem is that the post section for the tool named CenterPunch is for using a pneumatic plate marker. You are using the plasma for marking, so try naming your tool something else. If it is a drill tool it should mark with the plasma. Something to check is at the top of the post there is a setting for plasmaDrill. Make sure it is set to 1 to use the plasma for marking.
jacky elliott

Post by jacky elliott »

There is a plasmadrill set to one. I agree it is something to do with my toolset and operation vs the post.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

If you have a drill tool, call it something other than CenterPunch. I bet it will work.
jacky elliott

Post by jacky elliott »

I've gotten it to work with adding a pierce delay. So I can deal with that. Just would like to figure out what is not exactly right. Kinda like algebra, if one step isn't exact then maybe the next won't work at all.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Did you try using a different tool name so it runs the proper part of the post?
jacky elliott

Post by jacky elliott »

I will try that. I will name it plasmadrill and see what happens.