Have to remove holes in order to cut

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
cruzin

Have to remove holes in order to cut

Post by cruzin »

Hello to all, new to sheet cam used it 2 times and really love it so far. I have had a problem every time I use it though. I drew a part I wanted to cut for a motorcycle sissy bar. I has a 5 x 2" hole in the upper area. Sheet cam shows the part to be up in the air off the drawing area. I cannot make a layer for the hole in the main drawing I have had to remove the hole and cut it separate making g code for both the main part and the part that has been called out to be a inside cut. I this a thing with the trial version or has anyone else experienced this? Hope to find out what Ive done wrong. thanks for the help and nice to be a part of the forum.
Home built cnc table
Linux cnc
Hypertherm PM45
Machine torch
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: Have to remove holes in order to cut

Post by Les Newell »

What drawing format are you using? Could you post a copy of the drawing.
cruzin

Post by cruzin »

Using DXF files created in AutoCAD 2000...Using LinuxCNC...Presently any thing drawn where multiple cuts are to be made (e.g. part profile with hole in it) the Z axis elevations show up in LinuxCNC as being on different elevations...Post processor is one developed by LinuxCNC plasma user that has been in use for approximately 10 years by many other LinuxCNC plasma users,,,
Home built cnc table
Linux cnc
Hypertherm PM45
Machine torch
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Is this in the preview in LinuxCNC? That will show up at different elevations because it doesn't know how to handle the torch touch-off. It should cut correctly.
cruzin

Post by cruzin »

Les,
Thanks for responding so quickly....
Yes, it is the preview that displays the elevations at differing elevations...On all the DXF drawings I don't change the Z elevation from its 0.0 height...I just make 2d DXF and import into Sheetcam, generate the Gcode, and cut...It is when imported into LinuxCNC that the elevation differences show up causing the multiple cuts to be out of machine limits in Z...

Will give cutting a try...I just didn't make the attempt to continue on with cutting due to the out of envelope condition...

Thank you for your prompt attention and information...
Home built cnc table
Linux cnc
Hypertherm PM45
Machine torch
cruzin

Post by cruzin »

Update:
I have ignored the different elevations of a small rectangular cut within a larger profile cut...It makes the first cut well but complains upon the second cut that I am out of the envelope on the second cut due to the second cut being at a significantly lower elevation... The different elevation of the cuts is causing the problem...The parts on the DXF drawing which is imported into Sheetcam have all objects on the same Z axis elevation (0.0)...Any ideas why Sheetcam is placing them on different elevations and a fix to it...?
Home built cnc table
Linux cnc
Hypertherm PM45
Machine torch
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

SheetCam isn't placing the outlines on different elevations. If you look at the g-code the Z axis values won't change between outlines. The problem is the referencing. Try this: Set up a cut on the machine. Stop it shortly after the first pierce. Now check if the actual torch height agrees with the torch height shown in LinuxCNC. If not you need to look at your torch heigth calibration.