holes cutting

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
joep

holes cutting

Post by joep »

Hello, another question. Is it possible to switch off thc while cutting holes? Next step, reduce amp in g-code (with a little luck, this is used in Edingcnc)
Or otherwise: how do you guys cut small holes?
Surfing internet a lot, frequently asked, but all old posts with different layers etc, sounds a little complicated.
Thanks

Sorry, some more info:
mach3, proma150, closed loop steppers and sheetcam of course.
Plans for: servo and edingcnc
WyoGreen

Re: holes cutting

Post by WyoGreen »

I move holes to a different layer in Sheetcam. (It's very easy) Then I can change a lot of the cut parameters within the hole cutting operation to vary things such as voltage, cutting speeds, etc., and to also apply cut rules, which can turn the THC on and off.

Steve
joep

Post by joep »

Thanks, just tried the different layer metod and it's not to bad. For changing current I probably need a rs485 for the powermax? Turn thc off? How? The postprocessor we use is plasma MP1000-THC post processor with engraver.
WyoGreen

Post by WyoGreen »

I no longer use Mach3, so I'm out of touch with the cutting rules. But if you head over to PlasmaSpider.com and do a search for cutting rules, you should find plenty of information on the subject. I seem to remember some discussion on here about cutting rules, so a search on here may prove helpful. Once you get your cutting rules set up to turn the THC on and off, you can call the rule from within your Sheetcam cutting operation.

Steve
joep

Post by joep »

Thanks a lot. Let s see if there are some video s
joep

Post by joep »

Ok, wrote m101 and m102 thc on and off in mach3, crtl c crtl v. And it works. Long live internet. Tried some coding in Sheetcam but that is a little unclear. For now different layers is fine, short lead in for the holes and long for the rest of the plate. What is the easy way to change the post? I enabled thorch on and off and smaal radius, but g code is then after start plasma. It's better once on the start of the layer off and on when the layer is finished. It's possible with notepad of course for the moment, but that's not how it's ment to be.
Thanks in advance
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Take a look at cutting rules rather than editing the post. Rules can give you very precise control over when THC is turned on and off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC_TRbmlzpE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gsNhcWF2lE&t=1s
joep

Post by joep »

Thanks Les, the first video is very interesting. I will take a good look when there is more time. Since there is a z-axis with thc on the plasma table everything is much more complex then a rollerhead. Cutting quality is jumping forward. Thanks.
joep

Post by joep »

All right, playing with rules for a few weeks now. Very nice!

Now, sorry but there's another question. Since I work with two computers, one in the house and one in the shop, is it possible that sheetcam loads the post from a central harddisk (nas) and also the rules? Everywhere I work is the same g-code generated, that would be nice.
joep

Post by joep »

Sorry for the stupid question, save toolset and it's complete with rules. Super.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

SheetCam doesn't have any provision to store settings on a common server but you could do it using links. https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/c ... -or-linux/
The files you need to link can be found by running SheetCam and going to Help->open settings folder. You could link the whole folder or the inidvidual files.
I have never done this and I'm not sure what would happen if the NAS was not connected when SheetCam started. If you do try this, let me know how you get on.
joep

Post by joep »

Sorry Les. After a while I don t think rules or tools are changing. Save and load will do. Thanks for the link.
Problems always occur when it can t happen. I stick to the normal route.