Sheetcam plasma --> use torch on for nail gun action?

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
jacala

Sheetcam plasma --> use torch on for nail gun action?

Post by jacala »

Hello!

We've got quite a nice order of wooden crates but we need to shoot 51.000 nails to assemble them.

That takes a lot of time of course so I was thinking: Lets mount a nailgun on the cnc router z axis, move to the right position, move down, and then give a signal to fire the gun.

Than, if I make 2 or 3 jigs and let the machine run all of them a operator could be loading 1 jig while the cnc is nailing the other and viceversa.

That would double the workspeed and with a nice safety switch it should work great.

I could just reroute the Flood wires that operate my dust collection to a solenoid that would fire the gun.

Than write some drilling operations with the right locations and manually add a m08 / m09 command to shoot and reset the gun.

That sounds quite simple to me but am I missing something or is there a postprocessor in sheetcam that does this automatically?

I'm using sheetcam for a lot of cnc routing and not for this new idea that popped in my head just now ;)
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I don't see any problems with that. It would be pretty easy to modify a post to spit out the correct M8,pause,M9 code when you drill.

I have seen a few nailing machines and many use standard air nailers with a solenoid or small pneumatic ram to operate the trigger. They often have multiple guns that can be fired individually or together. I saw one a while back that had the nail gun equivalent of an Uzi machine gun. It could place something like 5 nails a second. The gantry didn't slow down to place the nails.
jacala

Post by jacala »

Hello!

I've been playing around with manually editing the G code and it worked great.

That is quite a nice and easy to build system. Hobbytime! ;)

When it's done I'll show some pictures, could take a month or so before I have time.