Identifying open paths

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
Sage

Identifying open paths

Post by Sage »

Open paths as everyone knows cause problems for Sheetcam. Choosing to "offset open paths" and moving starts points etc. causes the program to break the cutting up into broken sections which is not really acceptable in many cases (unless I'm missing something).
I can usually find the breaks in AutoCAD by zooming and panning all over the drawing and looking at connections between curves and lines etc. but it takes forever and sometimes I can't find the break anywhere except by sheer luck.

Is there any chance Sheetcam could (or already does) identify where the path is broken. Or maybe someone knows a trick in AutoCAD to find breaks.

Thanks

Sage
Vmax549

Post by Vmax549 »

In CADConvert what you think is a closed group of points into a polyline. If it has an OPEN point in the group the line will NOT convert all the way and if you click on the line it will highlite ONLY the points that connected. leaving you with a visual of WHAT is not connected.

(;-) TP
Sage

Post by Sage »

Sounds like a plan. I have drawn polylines but I don't recall the process to CONVERT a line or arc to a polyline. Can you expand on that.

Thanks

Sage
ajclay

Post by ajclay »

In autoCAD you can type in pedit and hit enter. From there follow the prompts to convert a bunch of lines into a polyline. When I have a problem contour, I'll explode the polyline and then go to pedit to reconnect all the segments.

Drag a selection box from bottom right to top left over the lines you want to add to the polyline. Don't try and do it all in one shot. Do it in sections or systematically and you'll find the problem area. It simply won't add the selections to the existing polyline if there is an open segment....

To confirm it in indeed closed.... select the polyline and right click it and click on properties. It will tell you if it is closed or open.

Another thing that will through a curve in things is a rogue node under a polyline. A polyline can be moved and then put back in location after the node is removed.

One other tip is to use the osnap correctly too. When drawing a contour for plasma use only the "endpoint" selection and there will be less errors.

Email if you like and I'll try and help. Or post the drawing and I'll find the problem spot.. Either way I'll help. aj ajclay@cox.net
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

In SheetCam turn off View->show segment ends and turn on View->show path ends. Each break will now have a white dot. Zoom in to see exactly what is wrong.
SeanP

Post by SeanP »

Some good tips here!

I know the drawing should really be right and I'm getting better I think but one other way I have just noticed is to up the 'import link tolerance' a little in drawing import options as well, I think mine was at .1mm default upping to .3 or so joins those gaps up well.

It takes months to find all the goodies in this software,,,,,nice one Les :lol:
ajclay

Identifying open paths

Post by ajclay »

It's so much to cad... I wish someone would of told me some hints.... Took
me untold hours to learn how do draw correctly in cad.

Sheetcam shows the problem but depending on how large the gap is.... An
import link setting of .31mm, a gap of 3mm, it won't fix it and you still
have to go back to cad..

All the time the clock is ticking and it just because he can't draw
correctly..

It took me years.... not months, and still can't do a lot of stuff
correctly.

Aj

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2014 3:47 AM
To: problems@forum.sheetcam.com
Subject: Re: Identifying open paths

Some good tips here!

I know the drawing should really be right and I'm getting better I think but
one other way I have just noticed is to up the 'import link tolerance' a
little in drawing import options as well, I think mine was at .1mm default
upping to .3 or so joins those gaps up well.

It takes months to find all the goodies in this software,,,,,nice one Les
[Laughing]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4577 / Virus Database: 3931/7422 - Release Date: 04/30/14

-----
No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4577 / Virus Database: 3931/7422 - Release Date: 04/30/14
Sage

Post by Sage »

Thanks Guys:
I'll give those ideas a try. I figured there must be something already in SheetCam to identify the issues. It was just a matter of figuring out what it was. Thanks Les. Excellent program BTW.
I rarely have issues with drawings I've made myself in AutoCAD because I always use the tools (snaps, trim etc.). But I often import / export from Alibre and it's really sloppy at closing connections. Many times, even when you trim in Alibre it complains about it's own sketches not being closed. It's really bad. So when you export it's full of issues. Maybe I'm doing something wrong there. It doesn't have snap to end etc. It snaps on it's own and I guess it's not too good at it.
Another thing to look for is duplicate lines in the same place. Sometimes it's useful to change the layer of the line segments - not by windowing a group but by selecting them individually which only selects the ones on top. Then you can turn the layer off and see what's left. Many times I've found extra errant line segments on the working layer. Erase them and change the proper segments back to the proper layer and you're usually good to go.
The latter is what I found in the drawing that prompted this post. It's fine now.

Thanks

Sage
ajclay

Post by ajclay »

Sorry for that last comment... Fingers working not hooked up to the brain.

Shows you how much I know... thought I was sending that comment / email to a friend..

AJ
keith1

Re:

Post by keith1 »

Les Newell wrote: Thu May 01, 2014 7:01 am In SheetCam turn off View->show segment ends and turn on View->show path ends. Each break will now have a white dot. Zoom in to see exactly what is wrong.
Les, I know it's been years since you wrote this but, I'm seeing "Open paths were not offset yet, when I go to turn off "show segment ends", I find that it is not on and "show path ends" is greyed/not available. What am I missing, O wizard O wise one?
Attachments
menu.PNG
menu.PNG (18.01 KiB) Viewed 2641 times
djreiswig

Re: Identifying open paths

Post by djreiswig »

You're in nesting view. The crossed arrows. Switch back to selection view, single arrow. Some things don't work in nesting view.
keith1

Post by keith1 »

Awesome! thanks for that. (still don't see the open path but at least I can toggle the view!
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

If you turn on path ends you should see a place that has 2 white dots close together. That is the ends of the open path. If you fix the issue in your CAD program by closing the path, the error should go away.
It could also be a short line segment hiding behind a closed path border. Look for 2 white dots on a closed path. You may have to zoom way in to see the problem.
If you upload your drawing or job file, someone can try to help you find it.
keith1

Post by keith1 »

Appreciate the help! Oddly enough, I was cleaning up the svg and, when I brought it back into Sheetcam, the warning disappeared. Musta been something too small to see but I accidentally fixed it. :-D Now I know how to look for it!