Why doesn't SC recognize my holes sometimes?

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
Spartan117

Why doesn't SC recognize my holes sometimes?

Post by Spartan117 »

Hello,

sometimes SC doesn't recognize my holes?
I can see them, measure them, but in d drilling-process they won't be recognzed.

I made the right settings for min/max hole-size and all that stuff
The holes are 2,5 and 2,7mm, so they should be covered by 2-3mm in the operation-window, right?

What am i doing wrong? Here is a pic of it

Thank you and best regards,

Marc
Attachments
SC-Problem.JPG
SC-Problem.JPG (155.72 KiB) Viewed 6690 times
Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 »

I found out, that the holes ARE drilled when simulating, but the message-box (when hovering over the operation with the mouse) tells me, there are NO holes?

See here:

What is going wrong there?
Attachments
SC-Problem2.JPG
SC-Problem2.JPG (157.33 KiB) Viewed 6689 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Could you give me a copy of the job file so I can do some tests and find out what is happening.
Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 »

Hey Les,

after starting SC another time, the error-message has gone and everything seems to be fine.
Do you want that job-file anyway?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I think I know what the problem is. If your drill operation doesn't find any holes you will get that warning. However if you correct the problem the warning won't go away until you reload the job.
Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 »

Ah, OK, so saving and reloading should help, right?

Thank you very much! :)
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Yup, that'll do it. I'll try to fix this for the next release.
Cheeta

Same issue

Post by Cheeta »

Hi Les,
I have run into a similar issue. I am using a drill operation to pierce holes with plasma. I get that same message and changing min or max doesnt make a difference while in the menu for the plasma tool. However, I have found that if I change the tool(mill or drill), go into that menu and change max or min, then return it back to the plasma tool, then the holes are found and everything works. Is this a known issue? Hopefully it is useful information in your debug.
Mike
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Do the tool paths look correct when you get the error message?
Cheeta

Post by Cheeta »

Yes, before I try the "tool change" method. The S1, S2.... points and rapids path show up but the Gcode generated does not reflect a drill operation. If I recall correctly, the Gcode just sends the tool to that coordinate but no drill(pierce). After setting the max hole size with a different tool selected and return to plasma, then the Gcode is correct and the error is gone. One thing I am going to try is to actually make the hole in my drawing something like .05" since I only need a pilot hole and see how the drill operation responds. As of yet, they are 0.25" so I am entering 0.26" for max hole size.

I overwrote the .tap file but if you like, I can try to recreate the process and post the code. I haven't tried the reloading method yet. Perhaps, I stumbled on another way around the reload. I will try to get all the steps so you aren't chasing a ghost through the woods. I write Verilog code all day and hate chasing invisible bugs ;)
Cheeta

Post by Cheeta »

Les,
The problem will not re-create reliably. It seems to depend on the mood of my PC ha ha. The only thing I can get to repeat is the reload method. Perhaps that is the only thing that needs to be fixed.
dorrisant

Re: Why doesn't SC recognize my holes sometimes?

Post by dorrisant »

I have this problem here. I don't know what I may be doing wrong. I have tried the above fixes with no luck.

I have attached the job file below. The drill operation for five 1/4" holes just does not work. SC never sees the holes. All of the rest works just fine.

Anyone care to try it and report back?

Tony
Attachments
Blue ODS Front Plate 1.job
(270.48 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

It looks like SheetCam is having trouble recognizing those holes. Go to Options->application options and tell me what you have for circle recognition limit, arc fitting tolerance and 'minimum segements for arc fitting'. Could you also post a copy of your drawing so I acn do some experiments here.

By the way it is better to start a new thread rather than resurrecting an old thread from 2012.
dorrisant

Post by dorrisant »

Thanks Les...

Circle Recognition Limit is set to 0.0079 inches.
Arc Fitting Tolerance is set to 0.0039 inches.
Minimum Segments For Arc Fitting is set to 4.

Sorry to post in an old topic... I am used to doing that in other forums in order to gather all of the situations and answers in one spot. No worries, I will heed your suggestion.

Thank yo for the help!
Attachments
Blue ODS Front Plate 1.dxf
(771.21 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

What version of SheetCam are you using? I can't replicate the fault using teh current stable or dev versions.