sketchup to sheetcam

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
richard page

sketchup to sheetcam

Post by richard page »

I have used sketchup pro 7 cad for a long time and know it well, however i have now started using cnc plasma so use the sheetcam program. The problem is when i export a design from sketchup (in DXF) the sizes change when measured again in sheetcam. The sheetcam sizes are approx 10-15mm bigger than when they were drawn in sketchup. I have started using solid edge cad program and this does not seem to have a problem. I would prefer to use sketchup as its a lot simpler and quicker, anyone have any ideas why sizes change?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

That's an odd one. I would guess it is a scaling issue. Draw a square of a known size in Sketchup. Import the drawing and measure it. Make a note of the size. Now double the size of the drawing in Sketchup and import it into SheetCam. Is it double the previous size?

When you import the drawing, what units do you select in the options box that pops up?
richard page

sketchup to sheetcam

Post by richard page »

hello again, i exported from sketchup to sheetcam a DXF file of a square 100mm x 100mm which when opened in in sheetcam was 116.7mm x116.7mm i then exported a 200mm square which when opened in sheetcam ended up as 128.7 x 128.7mm, I'm afraid my maths is way to rubbish to know if that is down to scale or if it is a random size. If it is down to scale is there a fix?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

That sounds like a scaling issue in Sketchup's dxf export. When you create the dxf does it give you the option to change the scale? If so, you want full scale.
richard page

scaling

Post by richard page »

hello

i just had a look but i cannot see any scaling options. will sheetcam open DWG files or PDF as i could try to export in these hoping the scale problem is in the dxf translation
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Are you using Sketchup pro? I believe pro has an options button when you export the file.
richard page

sketchup to sheetcam

Post by richard page »

I am using pro but there is no scaling option given before exporting, if you send it to the sketchup layout program there is a scaling option however you can only save/export these files in pdf. I drew a few items last night on the solid edge cad program and tried them in sheetcam this morning. The sheetcam program seems to open the DXF file but nothing appears on the screen when i click on the j button the screen goes blank and when click on the m button it just shows the table and material but no part. I can open the sketchup DXF ones easliy though!
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

When you export dxf from Sketchup do you see an options button?

Can you post one of the SolidEdge drawings so I can take a look at it and try to figure out what is wrong.
richard page

solid edge

Post by richard page »

Hello attached is solid edge drawing, Thany you for your continued help
Attachments
thumb from solid edge.dxf
(98.25 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
thumb foot plate.dxf
i think was done by sketchup
(57.63 KiB) Downloaded 459 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

What version of SheetCam are you using? Both of those drawings loaded orrectly into the most recent version of TNG.
richard page

sheetcam

Post by richard page »

I downloaded the program from the main site about 2 weeks ago i have the sheetcam TNG development version though not the stable version. I tried all the other file formats i could find today on sketchup pro but the only one that opened was the sketchup DXF files Typical as thats the one with the sizing issue!
richard page

measurement

Post by richard page »

Hello again

could you measure the thumb foot plate file i sent you to see if its a problem my end, when open it should just be a simple rectangle measuring 510mm x 85 0r 90mm

Regards Richard
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Yes, It's 510 x 85mm.
richard page

sketchup

Post by richard page »

Hello

thanks for the measurements, i find it more frustrating now though as you can receive the right dimensions. Do you think this could point to a problem with the sheetcam program though as you are able to open the files and they are the correct size and i am not able to with my sheetcam program. Would it help do you think to delete the program off and reload? Am i able then to use the license i have for the new program?

Regards Richard
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Reinstalling is unlikely to solve the problem. When you import the drawing a box pops up with some options. Make sure you have the scaling set to Metric. The drawing should then be scaled correctly.