Ramp angle problem

Posts redirected from the Yahoo mailing list
Brian L

Ramp angle problem

Post by Brian L »

Hi Les,

Working on a program and will be doing a slot in an aluminum bar. Wanted to rough the slot by inside profiling leaving .015” stock and ramp feeding to the depth (.498”) of the pocket. I set ramp angle at 1º and it moves roughly .100” deep in each direction, so by the time I make a complete pass I will be trying to cut about .200”, seems a bit hefty for the end mill. So I tried changing my ramp angle to .5º and do a test run and it wipes out the ramp and plunges to the full depth at the beginning…. I even tried using 1/2 (as in half a degree) and it converts the field to .5º, but again, no ramp.

Is this a bug? I suppose I can just cut and paste the path code and change the z depth to whatever will work with the end mill per revolution, but that seems a bit tedious.

I uploaded a support file for you to look at…. it’s called “Glass bracket small hole"

Brian Lamb
blamb11@cox.net (blamb11@cox.net)
www.lambtoolworks.com

__._,_.___
Posted by: Brian Lamb <blamb11@cox.net>

Visit Your Group
Unsubscribe ([email]sheetcam-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe[/email]) &bull; Terms of Use

__,_._,___
Les Newell les.newell@...

Ramp angle problem

Post by Les Newell les.newell@... »

The ramp angle is limited to about 1 degree. You would probably be better off using an angle of around 15 degrees and  a depth per pass of 0.1" (or whatever maximum depth of cut you want to use).  The cutter would ramp down to 0.1" for the first pass then ramp down a further 0.1" for the next pass and so on.

Les

On 25/05/2015 18:58, Brian Lamb blamb11@cox.net (blamb11@cox.net) [sheetcam] wrote:
Hi Les,

Working on a program and will be doing a slot in an aluminum bar. Wanted to rough the slot by inside profiling leaving .015” stock and ramp feeding to the depth (.498”) of the pocket. I set ramp angle at 1º and it moves roughly .100” deep in each direction, so by the time I make a complete pass I will be trying to cut about .200”, seems a bit hefty for the end mill. So I tried changing my ramp angle to .5º and do a test run and it wipes out the ramp and plunges to the full depth at the beginning…. I even tried using 1/2 (as in half a degree) and it converts the field to .5º, but again, no ramp.

Is this a bug? I suppose I can just cut and paste the path code and change the z depth to whatever will work with the end mill per revolution, but that seems a bit tedious.

I uploaded a support file for you to look at…. it’s called “Glass bracket small hole"

Brian Lamb
blamb11@cox.net (blamb11@cox.net)
www.lambtoolworks.com

__._,_.___
Posted by: Les Newell <les.newell@fastmail.co.uk>

Visit Your Group
Unsubscribe ([email]sheetcam-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe[/email]) &bull; Terms of Use

__,_._,___
Dropout

Post by Dropout »

Any chance of having a setting for ramp length as a multiple of tool diameters?