Tapping Head setup

Posts redirected from the Yahoo mailing list
Brian L

Tapping Head setup

Post by Brian L »

I agree, but first we needed to establish the needs of the tapping sequence… that is independent of the code results at the moment.
Brian Lamb
blamb11@cox.net (blamb11@cox.net)

On Jun 5, 2014, at 9:58 AM, Don@Campbell-Gemstones.com (Don@Campbell-Gemstones.com) [sheetcam] <sheetcam@yahoogroups.com (sheetcam@yahoogroups.com)> wrote:
OK, I’m talking about the process needed and not whatever code results you are getting from SC. I<<Brian, that code results from SC is the reason for this thread. Your example cleared up one major point for me though. I had overlooked the G04. If sheetcam can generate a G04, then the P value could be calculated by tap pitch, S, and Axial Travel. After a little more searching in Sheetcam, plasma does have a dwell, so I'm off on another path now to see if I can include a dwell cycle in the post. . thanks for turning on another light for me. Don

__._,_.___
Posted by: Brian Lamb <blamb11@cox.net>

Visit Your Group
Unsubscribe ([email]sheetcam-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe[/email]) &bull; Terms of Use

__,_._,___
Steve Blackmore steve@...

Tapping Head setup

Post by Steve Blackmore steve@... »

On Fri, 6 Jun 2014 19:30:57 -0700, you wrote:
Hi Steve,

Dwell will disengage the tapping sequence, whether it’s a ball drive, friction cone, whatever, you dwell at a set Z and the tap pulls the head into neutral.

Friction of the tap doesn’t effect the depth much, the ball drive style drives until the balls come out of the driven cog… I suppose if the tap had enough inertia to spin a turn or two before it stopped it could be deeper in free-tapping material, but honestly, I don’t see that happening and I’ve used just about every type of tapping head available. Friction drive works the same way, as soon as Z feed stops and the tap walks away from the friction cone, revolutions stop.
Need to be careful on a lathe with a large chuck and lots of inertia.
Not a problem on a commercial machine with spindle brake, but you can
bet the majority on here don't have a brake. Many "home" machines will
continue to turn many revolutions on commanding a stop and it's easy to
tap deeper than you expected if you've not run to the disengage point.
Not sure where or why you think a CNC tapping head cares where in the revolution it stops, it stops because of lack of Z feed.
Stop block and arm needs to align with the lock collar on a Tapmatic -
the lock collar rotates with the spindle.
Your first pdf, well, tapmatic says that, I’ve never used that process, I have the N/C-R head as indicated in your second PDF and have used that process on any and all heads I’ve ever used. I see no reason you couldn’t use the rapid out for a certain distant process, but then I see no value in using it either, and I suspicion you take the chance of yanking the tap gradually out of the collet if you go that way.
YMMV - but I tend to follow manufacturers recommendations and examples.
As you can see in the sub they recommend a fast retract on the self
reversing heads.

G90 Absolute movement

G00 Z1. Rapid to 1mm above hole

G01 Z-8.F2000. Feed in at 100% feed rate

G01 Z-2.F13000. Fast retract 6mm

G01 Z6.F2000. Feed out at 100% feed rate to
clearance plane of 6mm
M99 Return to main program

Steve Blackmore
--

------------------------------------
Posted by: Steve Blackmore <steve@pilotltd.net>
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sheetcam/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sheetcam/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
sheetcam-digest@yahoogroups.com
sheetcam-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
sheetcam-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/
Brian L

Tapping Head setup

Post by Brian L »

We are not talking about lathes, none of this is applicable to lathes, you don’t use reversing tapping heads on lathes, and Sheetcam doesn’t program for lathes anyway.

Stop block and torque arm? I think you are talking about tool changing into a carousel? If so, yes a machine spindle orients to align the drive dogs on the tool holder, but the orientation of the tapping head torque arm is maintained by the arm itself, it will have two slots, one that locates on a boss on the spindle/headstock of the mill, the other locates on a bolt/protrusion on the carousel. Some also have slots in the knurled knob of the tapping head that engage a pin once the drive pin is not compressed from the spindle. Regardless of the method, that all has to do with tool changes and doesn’t have any effect on the tapping operation, it’s done so the torque arm doesn’t wander while it’s sitting in the tool carousel and then crash when it’s put back in the spindle.

I did some digging on the rapid pull out, and that has to do with the CNC rated heads that are capable of running high rpm’s, 4000 and 5000 rpm. The quick retract is done to sustain the life of internal parts in the tapping head. My N/C-R is only rated for 2000 rpm and I never run much over 1000, and it’s process is to just dwell and reverse, as you noted in the second pdf.
Brian Lamb

On Jun 7, 2014, at 8:52 AM, Steve Blackmore steve@pilotltd.net (steve@pilotltd.net) [sheetcam] <sheetcam@yahoogroups.com (sheetcam@yahoogroups.com)> wrote:
On Fri, 6 Jun 2014 19:30:57 -0700, you wrote:>Hi Steve,>>Dwell will disengage the tapping sequence, whether it’s a ball drive, friction cone, whatever, you dwell at a set Z and the tap pulls the head into neutral.>>Friction of the tap doesn’t effect the depth much, the ball drive style drives until the balls come out of the driven cog… I suppose if the tap had enough inertia to spin a turn or two before it stopped it could be deeper in free-tapping material, but honestly, I don’t see that happening and I’ve used just about every type of tapping head available. Friction drive works the same way, as soon as Z feed stops and the tap walks away from the friction cone, revolutions stop.Need to be careful on a lathe with a large chuck and lots of inertia.Not a problem on a commercial machine with spindle brake, but you canbet the majority on here don't have a brake. Many "home" machines willcontinue to turn many revolutions on commanding a stop and it's easy totap deeper than you expected if you've not run to the disengage point. >Not sure where or why you think a CNC tapping head cares where in the revolution it stops, it stops because of lack of Z feed.Stop block and arm needs to align with the lock collar on a Tapmatic -the lock collar rotates with the spindle.>Your first pdf, well, tapmatic says that, I’ve never used that process, I have the N/C-R head as indicated in your second PDF and have used that process on any and all heads I’ve ever used. I see no reason you couldn’t use the rapid out for a certain distant process, but then I see no value in using it either, and I suspicion you take the chance of yanking the tap gradually out of the collet if you go that way.YMMV - but I tend to follow manufacturers recommendations and examples.As you can see in the sub they recommend a fast retract on the selfreversing heads. G90 Absolute movement G00 Z1. Rapid to 1mm above hole G01 Z-8.F2000. Feed in at 100% feed rate G01 Z-2.F13000. Fast retract 6mm G01 Z6.F2000. Feed out at 100% feed rate to clearance plane of 6mm M99 Return to main program Steve Blackmore--

__._,_.___

Visit Your Group
Unsubscribe ([email]sheetcam-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe[/email]) &bull; Terms of Use

__,_._,___
Don@Campbell-Gemstones...

Tapping Head setup

Post by Don@Campbell-Gemstones... »

Brian, I've been waiting to see what your Z problems were the post fix Les provided. I'm about a day away from having my mill ready to test out the code and am wondering what I should be looking out for.

Don

__._,_.___
Posted by: Don@Campbell-Gemstones.com

Visit Your Group

__,_._,___
Don@Campbell-Gemstones...

Tapping Head setup

Post by Don@Campbell-Gemstones... »

Brian, I just typed up a long response and included the Tap file created by the new post for my job and as I was documenting what was going on per plan, I discovered it wasn't. I'll disect my tap and setup first and the job setup then let you know what I've fourn.

I went on some eye drops this morning in prep for catarac surgery next Monday, so my eye sight has really been bad today and probably for the next week. I may not be seeing wht I at first think a saw.

Don

__._,_.___
Posted by: Don@Campbell-Gemstones.com

Visit Your Group

__,_._,___
Brian L

Tapping Head setup

Post by Brian L »

Hi Don,

Not a problem, you take care, my father has been thru cataract surgery. Some of those drops are like smearing your eye with oil or vaseline from what he has described to me. Good luck with the surgery.
Brian Lamb

On Jun 9, 2014, at 5:03 PM, Don@Campbell-Gemstones.com (Don@Campbell-Gemstones.com) [sheetcam] <sheetcam@yahoogroups.com (sheetcam@yahoogroups.com)> wrote:
Brian, I just typed up a long response and included the Tap file created by the new post for my job and as I was documenting what was going on per plan, I discovered it wasn't. I'll disect my tap and setup first and the job setup then let you know what I've fourn. I went on some eye drops this morning in prep for catarac surgery next Monday, so my eye sight has really been bad today and probably for the next week. I may not be seeing wht I at first think a saw.Don

__._,_.___

Visit Your Group

__,_._,___