Scanything DXF

Posts redirected from the Yahoo mailing list
zrtorres

Scanything DXF

Post by zrtorres »

Hi...

I have been trying Scanything for a couple days..., and I have a couple questions about it...

1) The file opens with NO trouble in Sheetcam..., but then I tried to open the created DXF file on Autcad 2004, and it said Invalid File...Is there any software I can open up the DXF created by Scanyting ? I am trying to touch up the Scanned DXF File...., I just want to "redraw" into simple entities the scanned DXF, so instead of having a lot of "little bumps", I can "redraw" into lines, arcs, and circles.....

2) I tried to scan a thin disc (simple part, also first test) and it worked great...., then I tried to scan a 1" thick diamond shape, and I had some trouble with the lighting. I painted the top face on the Part, but I think I should have painted with something NOT shinny, anyways, my question/comment is regarding shadows, not reflections (next time I will paint with something dull, that does not reflect light)..., Scanything ocasionally followed the countour of the shadow...., I tried using a lamp, but when I placed the lamp on the left side, there was a shadow causing trouble on the right side, and vice-versa. I tried changing the brightness setting..., Any ideas and/or suggestions ??

I will keep trying more tests on Scanything, this is just what I found at the beginning...., but Scanything is looking certainly a great Program Les....

Thanks....

__._,_.___

Visit Your Group
Unsubscribe ([email]sheetcam-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe[/email]) • Terms of Use

__,_._,___
Les Newell

Scanything DXF

Post by Les Newell »

I think I found the problem with dxf files. I'll release an update shortly.

As far as lighting is concerned you need very even lighting. Some cameras have a built in light. If you are using external lighting the best thing to do is use at least two lights, one either side of the camera. I think getting even lighting is going to be one of the biggest problems with running scanything.

Ring shaped LEDs are popular on cars and they can be picked up cheaply on ebay in a variety of sizes, for example <http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-40mm-BMW-Angel-Eyes-12-SMD-LED-Ring-Car-Light-White-FUS-/271384288504>. One of those around the lens would give very even lighting.

Les

On 09/03/2014 20:42, zrtorres@hotmail.com (zrtorres@hotmail.com) wrote:
Hi...

I have been trying Scanything for a couple days..., and I have a couple questions about it...

1) The file opens with NO trouble in Sheetcam..., but then I tried to open the created DXF file on Autcad 2004, and it said Invalid File...Is there any software I can open up the DXF created by Scanyting ? I am trying to touch up the Scanned DXF File...., I just want to "redraw" into simple entities the scanned DXF, so instead of having a lot of "little bumps", I can "redraw" into lines, arcs, and circles.....

2) I tried to scan a thin disc (simple part, also first test) and it worked great...., then I tried to scan a 1" thick diamond shape, and I had some trouble with the lighting. I painted the top face on the Part, but I think I should have painted with something NOT shinny, anyways, my question/comment is regarding shadows, not reflections (next time I will paint with something d ull, that does not reflect light)..., Scanything ocasionally followed the countour of the shadow....,  I tried using a lamp, but when I placed the lamp on the left side, there was a shadow causing trouble on the right side, and vice-versa. I tried changing the brightness setting...,  Any ideas and/or suggestions ??

I will keep trying more tests on Scanything, this is just what I found at the beginning...., but Scanything is looking certainly a great Program Les....

Thanks....

__._,_.___

Visit Your Group
Unsubscribe ([email]sheetcam-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe[/email]) &bull; Terms of Use

__,_._,___
zrtorres

Scanything DXF

Post by zrtorres »

Hi Les...

I just tried to import a DXF file created by Scanything 1.07, and it still says invalid file..., I am running AutoCad 2004...., I don't want to run AutoCad 2013 or anything this "new"..., I am afraid my computer will run out of resources, and I also doubt such a new software will run on a windows XP with Pentium 4...., but if it is the only way to go, well, I might have to try......
I also just tried to import the DXF by Scanything on AutoCad 2009, AutoCad 2011, and still appears Invalid File.... I also tried to import it in SolidWorks and it DOES work (I tried this on a few other computers). There are a couple other softwares I tried and it DOES work...., it seems like the only trouble is with AutoCad....
By the way, I downloaded a FREE software very similar to AutoCad, it is called Draftsight, and it DOES work when I try to import the DXF from Scanything on my laptop (64 bits)...., I just tried it on a 32 bit System, and it DOES work also...., The CPU I have running Mach 3 and Sheetcam is a 32 Bit system using windows XP.
Simple commands work exactly the same way in Draftsight as they do in AutoCad...., the main difference I noticed is the size on the Hard Drive..., Draftsight (about 290 Mb) is almost twice as big as Autocad 2004 (about 150Mb)...

It seems like Godbye Autocad, and Hello to Draftsight...., anyways, I only wanted to clean up the Scanything DXF a bit (trim, extend, arcs, lines, circles, a couple layers, etc..., just simple commands to touch up the DXF File a bit)...

Has anyone else tried anything else that worked?...., I would like to know what software (version & year) you are running....

Comments and suggestions Welcome ;)

As far as the lighting, well, I will search for something small, but if I cannot find something I can fit, then I guess I will I will have to make a custom mounted LED Ring lamp....,,

Thanks Les.....

__._,_.___

Visit Your Group
Unsubscribe ([email]sheetcam-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe[/email]) &bull; Terms of Use

__,_._,___
Rob

Scanything DXF

Post by Rob »

I use draftsight regularly. Its a good program.

In regards to the scanything lighting. I have a "machining camera" I bought from Homan designs websight http://www.homanndesigns.com/store/inde ... cts_id=221
I have not tried it yet because of workload so not sure its suitable for scanything. It has lights integrated into it and it is spindle mounted. Hopefully get a chance to try it once I clear my backlog.

-------- Original message --------
Date:
To: sheetcam@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [sheetcam] Scanything DXF

Hi Les...

I just tried to import a DXF file created by Scanything 1.07, and it still says invalid file..., I am running AutoCad 2004...., I don't want to run AutoCad 2013 or anything this "new"..., I am afraid my computer will run out of resources, and I also doubt such a new software will run on a windows XP with Pentium 4...., but if it is the only way to go, well, I might have to try......
I also just tried to import the DXF by Scanything on AutoCad 2009, AutoCad 2011, and still appears Invalid File.... I also tried to import it in SolidWorks and it DOES work (I tried this on a few other computers). There are a couple other softwares I tried and it DOES work...., it seems like the only trouble is with AutoCad....
By the way, I downloaded a FREE software very similar to AutoCad, it is called Draftsight, and it DOES work when I try to import the DXF from Scanything on my laptop (64 bits)...., I just tried it on a 32 bit System, and it DOES work also...., The CPU I have running Mach 3 and Sheetcam is a 32 Bit system using windows XP.
Simple commands work exactly the same way in Draftsight as they do in AutoCad...., the main difference I noticed is the size on the Hard Drive..., Draftsight (about 290 Mb) is almost twice as big as Autocad 2004 (about 150Mb)...

It seems like Godbye Autocad, and Hello to Draftsight...., anyways, I only wanted to clean up the Scanything DXF a bit (trim, extend, arcs, lines, circles, a couple layers, etc..., just simple commands to touch up the DXF File a bit)...

Has anyone else tried anything else that worked?...., I would like to know what software (version & year) you are running....

Comments and suggestions Welcome ;)

As far as the lighting, well, I will search for something small, but if I cannot find something I can fit, then I guess I will I will have to make a custom mounted LED Ring lamp....,,

Thanks Les.....

__._,_.___

Visit Your Group

__,_._,___
Les Newell

Scanything DXF

Post by Les Newell »

OK, I'll take another look and see if I can figure out what is wrong.

Les

On 11/03/2014 16:56, zrtorres@hotmail.com (zrtorres@hotmail.com) wrote:
Hi Les...

It seems like Godbye Autocad, and Hello to Draftsight...., anyways, I only wanted to clean up the Scanything  DXF a bit (trim, extend, arcs, lines, circles, a couple layers, etc..., just simple commands to touch up the DXF File a bit)...

Comments and suggestions Welcome   ;)

As far as the lighting, well, I will search for something small, but if I cannot find something I can fit, then I guess I will I will have to make a custom mounted LED Ring lamp....,, 

Thanks Les.....

__._,_.___

Visit Your Group

__,_._,___