Licensing Structure Question

Posts redirected from the Yahoo mailing list
PK

Post by PK »

Hello,

Sorry if there is an obvious answer, but I am wondering how the license works. Is the purchase of a license strictly for one installation? Or is it possibly for one person?

I find myself needing more than one installation and also needing both a Linux version and Windows.

Does the license allow for multiple installations/platforms per person? Thank you...

Paul

------------------------------------
Les Newell

Post by Les Newell »

Hi Paul,

Technically the license is for one computer. However I don't mind if you
use one Windows copy and one Linux copy. If it is just yourself using
SheetCam, I also don't mind if you use it on up to two different
machines running the same OS

Les

On 10/05/2012 11:25, PK wrote:
Hello,

Sorry if there is an obvious answer, but I am wondering how the license works. Is the purchase of a license strictly for one installation? Or is it possibly for one person?

I find myself needing more than one installation and also needing both a Linux version and Windows.

Does the license allow for multiple installations/platforms per person? Thank you...

Paul

PK

Re: Licensing Structure Question

Post by PK »

Hi Les,

Thanks for the reply. What usually happens is that I do the majority of my programming at my main, home, computer. But there are times that I need to make a quick tweak at the machine's computer. It doesn't happen all that often, so it shouldn't be a problem to have one installation.

Thank you...

Paul

Les Newell wrote:Hi Paul,

Technically the license is for one computer. However I don't mind if you
use one Windows copy and one Linux copy. If it is just yourself using
SheetCam, I also don't mind if you use it on up to two different

Les

On 10/05/2012 11:25, PK wrote:
Hello,

Paul

jamesdhatch

Post by jamesdhatch »

Les Newell wrote: Thu May 10, 2012 10:55 am I also don't mind if you use it on up to two different
Les -
Is this still the case? Does it have to be on the same OS version?

I have my main machine in the house but my table's control laptop in the garage. That one is a MacBook Air that I've installed Windows 7 on. Since there aren't any moving parts on that laptop I figure it's safer from potential splashing from the water table on the plasma CNC. My house machine is a Windows 10 machine. I do all my Sheetcam work now in the house, copy the file to a USB thumbdrive and then load that in the garage. So right now if I need to make a quick change it's back to the house and the USB and the garage all over again. If you're still okay using it on 2 machines, can I just copy the install & license file to my garage laptop?

BTW, you're now one of the 2 supported pathing applications for the Langmuir Crossfire and Crossfire Pro. A bunch of us have been pitching it to them for a year and now with the release of their new Pro model they've added a post-processor and support for Sheetcam :-) It's far easier than doing the pathing in Fusion 360 which is the other option for folks.

Thanks -
Jim
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

The rule I work by currently is that for hobby and one-man business use you are allowed to use the license on up to two computers. If it is for a business with more than one person the license is for one computer only.

I have been chatting with Langmuir and they are working towards making SheetCam their preferred CAM package. Hopefuly there will be more news on this soon.
jamesdhatch

Post by jamesdhatch »

Thanks for the quick reply. I got into CNC plasma cutting because I was helping out the local makerspace teaching laser & CNC Router use. Saw the Langmuir pre-sale a year or so ago and jumped in to see how it would be to make in steel what I was doing in wood & plastic. I've had a blast with the table over the past year and am upgrading to a Pro unit (my last part should be arriving this week).

A bunch of us have been pushing Daniel to support Sheetcam. I created a custom post for it for the current Crossfire - your code is way cleaner than the stuff generated by Fusion's posts. For most of the people using the Crossfire Fusion is way too complicated and overkill so a bunch of us on their forum help folks switch to Inkscape (for design) and Sheetcam for G-Code generation. In fact, I just created a break-in program for them using their Sheetcam post to create the TAP file. Nice & straightforward.

Fusion's license change last year didn't help them any in the hobby/small shop arena that most of the Langmuir customers are in and the way Sheetcam "just works" makes it brain dead easy to recommend to anyone having trouble with Fusion.
Consta

Post by Consta »

I have a question, I installed the sheetcam program on my home computer it is a desktop, but it is not the computer that I will need to install the sheetcam by mistake I clicked on the file license and it was installed in the sheetcam program, how can I remove the license and install sheetcam on the correct computer and change, I am going to use the sheetcam for personal use I am an automotive technician and a technology fan I do this as a hobby. Thank you and I hope your answer.

constantino
Consta

Post by Consta »

I have a question, I installed the sheetcam program on my home computer it is a desktop, but it is not the computer that I will need to install the sheetcam by mistake I clicked on the file license and it was installed in the sheetcam program, how can I remove the license and install sheetcam on the correct computer and change, I am going to use the sheetcam for personal use I am an automotive technician and a technology fan I do this as a hobby. Thank you and I hope your answer.