Where am I going wrong?

Hi all, I am trying to cut out an irregular shape with six slots inside. The drawing from Autocad 6 is ok but I then have two problems with Sheetcam.

1. I can not cut the slots with an inside offset unless the slots are on a different layer, this is ok until I get to the outside shape.
  2. Whatever I do on the other layer (outside of the shape) It is allways the width of the tool smaller whichever offset I use.
    I understood that if you were making say a washer and set to outside offset then the hole would automatically be inside offset?
    I still cannot understand however when using two cutting opperations I can not get the outside to the correct dimentions.
    Any help would be gratefully received.
    Regards
    Roy

It sounds like your outline has some lines that don’t join up perfectly. If this happens SheetCam has no way of working out what is inside and what is outside. When you load the drawing, the outline is probably gery, indicating it is broken. Turn off View->show segment ends and turn on View->show path ends. Now you will see white dots wherever the lines don’t join up properly. If you zoom in close you should be able to see the problem. You can then go abck to your drawing and fix it.

Hi Les,
Many thanks for your reply, I have looked back at the drawing but that may not be the problem. In autocad the outside shape is a one piece polyline IE all joined up. the cutouts also are polyline rectangles therefore there are no gaps. I will attach the autocad DXF file. any other ideas?

Regards
Roy

I took a quick look at the drawing. If you use the view settings I recommended earlier you should see a white dot near the bottom left hand corner. If you zoom in close you will see a small errant line. Deleting that line will probably fix it.

Hi Roy ,
if you have a very close look at the area in the red circle (exactly where SC shows a white dot if you act as Les described) there is a wrong line and Sheetcam always tells me : open paths were not offset.
Deleting this line gives a perfect result

Richard

Hi Richard
Many thanks for your help and information. I have now corrected the error and it now cuts perfectly.
Best Regards
Roy

In a message dated 21/12/11 23:30:20 GMT Standard Time, R.Fisch@onlinehome.de writes:

Hi Roy ,
if you have a very close look at the area in the red circle there is a wrong line and Sheetcam always tells me : open paths were not offset.
Deleting this line gives a perfect result

Richard

Attachments:
http://www.forum.sheetcam.com//files/bild_2_320.jpg
http://www.forum.sheetcam.com//files/bild_3_102.jpg