TNG misbehaving or maybe me

This could just be me. I installed TNG some time ago (currently at V3.0.17), but have been using SheetCam V6.2.0. It’s come time to update some files so I’d like to move them over to TNG, but a few things aren’t working:

#1 in contour select mode, contours “live select” when the mouse goes over them (which isn’t a bad idea), so there is no way to ctrl-select etc like 6.2.0. When moving to New Layer, it seems to move all contours that were edited to the newest layer as if all edited contours have remained invisibly selected. I updated my graphics drivers to the latest but that wasn’t it, and the behaviour doesn’t seem to be entirely display related (eg ctrl-click didn’t invisibly select multiple contours). I can send a job or support file if needed, although I can replicate it on a basic dxf file with multiple contours in a fresh job file. Windows XP, Nvidia 8600GT graphics cards with up to 4 monitors.

(While on the subject of layers, for my wishlist it would be good if the layer name for the currently “hovered” contour displayed in the toolbar, Properties box didn’t “ding” when it pops up, New Layer dialog didn’t need to have Enter pressed twice (if not clicking on the Ok button), even the old Sheetcam behaviour of keeping the last added layer name in the New Layer dialog was handy.)

#2 is that the tooltips on the toolbars only flash up briefly (too fast to read), and those for the “Operations” get overwritten by the drawing area after about 1 second of display, so only the left side remains visible.

SheetCam V6.2.0 works fine, and all TNG’s toolpath generation and other things incl display and simulation seem to work like they should. I can’t imagine this is normal behaviour for TNG so I wonder what is going wrong for me? Thanks in advance for any help.

You can still ctrl-select. Hold and click on each contour.

When moving to New Layer, it seems to move all contours that were edited to the newest layer as if all edited contours have remained invisibly selected.

I can’t replicate that one. Can you describe exactly what you dot o get this to happen.

(While on the subject of layers, for my wishlist it would be good if the layer name for the currently “hovered” contour displayed in the toolbar,

That is a good idea.

Properties box didn’t “ding” when it pops up,

That is standard behaviour for dialog boxes. I am not sure I can turn it off.

New Layer dialog didn’t need to have Enter pressed twice (if not clicking on the Ok button), even the old Sheetcam behaviour of keeping the last added layer name in the New Layer dialog was handy.)

I’ll see what I can do.

#2 is that the tooltips on the toolbars only flash up briefly (too fast to read), and those for the “Operations” get overwritten by the drawing area after about 1 second of display, so only the left side remains visible.

That is a long standing problem that I have never managed to track down. It is a problem deep inside the wxWidgets toolkit and I have no idea why it is happening.

That is a long standing problem that I have never managed to track down. It is a problem deep inside the wxWidgets toolkit and I have no idea why it is happening.

Hi Les,

don’t have this effect here anymore. I’ve seen it before but don’t know since when it disappeared.

Richard

WIN 7 x64
NVIDIA Geforce G210

That’s the worst bit - it only happens on some machines. It is very difficult to trace a problem like that.

This will be in the next release

Properties box didn’t “ding” when it pops up,

Sorry, I can’t fix this one easily.

New Layer dialog didn’t need to have Enter pressed twice (if not clicking on the Ok button),

Fixed for the next release.

Sorry for the delay, work took over as ususal.

I tried ctrl-selecting again and can’t get it to NOT work now! Maybe it was the graphics driver update, or maybe just me getting confused by the way selection doesn’t change state when clicked (only when the pointer moves away from the contour, etc).

To replicate the moving to new layer thing, I used the “TNG test.job” file which you hopefully have (a small part with some closely spaced and overlapping contours all on the same layer). Change to contour edit mode, right click on the bottom horizontal line, Move to layer, New layer, enter 1. Repeat by right clicking on the next line up, giving it layer name “2”, and so on for “3” (which is enough to demonstrate). The result for me is that all contours end up on layer “3”. A giveaway for what might be happening is that ctrl-clicking on another unselected contour displays all the previous contours highlighted. Ah, the Properties also shows multiple contours selected.

Contour Properties box “ding”: I realised this is in v 6.2.0 too - just the infobox “ding” on my sound scheme is a long and loud thing that goes on for ages, which is why I noticed it. The live layer display will replace my need for this anyway (for untangling complex ‘nested’ contours).

Thanks for the tweaks / fixes!

BTW for the disappearing tooltips, some years ago I spent quite a while getting tooltips to display properly (tweaking the registry etc) after they stopped working. That was on Windows 2000, this current XP system is an upgrade of that, so perhaps it left something in an inconsistent state. Or maybe the multimonitor setup. I also have “Menu speed” in TweakUI set to fastest if that’s of any use.

Yup, I managed to replicate this. it is now fixed for the next release.

BTW for the disappearing tooltips, some years ago I spent quite a while getting tooltips to display properly (tweaking the registry etc) after they stopped working. That was on Windows 2000, this current XP system is an upgrade of that, so perhaps it left something in an inconsistent state. Or maybe the multimonitor setup. I also have “Menu speed” in TweakUI set to fastest if that’s of any use.

As far as I can tell it is something to do with the way the OpenGl graphics display works. The tool tips only disappear if they are over the graphics display. Basically the display is getting redrawn over the top of the tool tip, which should not happen and I have no idea why it is happening. Normally Windows automatically takes care of working out what areas of the screen need to be redrawn.