Post processor setting for feeding C into NC Studio??

Hi to everyone. I have ordered a very specialized Chinese router and am getting my workshop set up in anticipation of its arrival. Unfortunately the machine is built with NC Studio instead of Mach 3. The NC Studio setup manual says that it (NC Studio) can accept G and HP PLT code. I have learned in Sheetcams tutorials that there are many variations of G code (but I have to admit that I have never heard of HP/PLT). After searching the internet I am now under the impression that there may be another machines post processor setting in Sheetcam that will work with with NC Studio but it is unclear which. NC Studio seems to only accept files with an “.nc” extension. I have read conflicting stories of how some people have had to modify the header information within the post processor setting to make it work with NC Studio but this is very Greek to me. I should say that I am very new to the entire CNC process but have been putting great effort into learning what I need to know. I have purchased this machine to complete a project at hand where I need to carve uniform rectangles into hundreds of large previously molded ABS parts. While working on this project I am hoping to learn as much as I can so that I can use the machine on more complicated projects in the future.

Any suggestions or information certainly would be appreciated. I am desperately trying to learn how the processes all fit together. :unamused: Sheetcam seems to be a great liaison between Rhino and NC Studio (or am I wrong)?

Chris.

SheetCam has an HPGL post processor (plt) but you are probably better off with g-code. Setting the .nc file extension is simple. In SheetCam go to Options->amachine->post processor. Change the output file extension from tap to nc. Do you have a list of the g-codes your machine accepts? Soem short samples would also be helpful. If all else fails try the minimum g-code posts, especially ‘minimum g-code’ and ‘minimum g-code abs arcs’

There is very little documentastion available for NC-Studio but give this post a try. I am not sure if I have the arcs right but give it a try and see what happens.

Les,

Thank you for the information. I will work on your recommendations and test them over the next couple of days.

I managed to get “Jimmy” at salecnc to give me more information on G code in NC Studio. He just posted it today in the form of a youtube video. Although the video is based on Artcam it has an informative “How to edit standard G code to work with NC Studio” section. It seems that this information is exactly what you would need to add a new post setting in Sheetcam. Of course one could also continually edit the G code for each project but I would think that could be cumbersome.

Please check out the video and let me know what you think. From the countless hours I have spent researching NC Studio on the internet, many more people would be interested in Sheetcam if it included a correct and definitive post setting built in. Apparently there is no other program that includes one. It’d be a great sales tool.

The link to the video is… http://youtu.be/oopkqXOZCes

Chris.