Crash on Ubuntu Linux 9.10

Hi,

I installed Sheetcam TNG on a new install of Ubuntu 9.10, but when I try to run it gets past the language and license dialogs and then crashes. This forum wouldn’t let me attach an xml or txt file so I included the last few line of the crash report below. I have wxWidgets 2.8.10 install from the Ubuntu repositories, and I noticed the sheetcamlibs package installs different ones under /usr/share/SheetCamTNG/lib/ Is there a way I can use the ones installed on my system? Or could the problem be some conflict between the libraries?

Thanks,
Moses

-------------------- m2f --------------------

Reply to this post simply by hitting reply in your email client or you can read this topic online here:
http://www.forum.sheetcam.com/viewtopic.php?p=10831#10831

-------------------- m2f --------------------

Hmm, I have seen that on a couple of Ubuntu installs. I don’t think the
problem is wxWidgets related. I uses my own build of wx as there are so
many different compilation options with wxWidgets that there is no way
of guaranteeing that your version is compatible with SheetCam.

The most likely reason for the crash is OpenGl (or the lack of it). Do
you have OpenGl on your machine?

Hi Les,

This is really weird. After I posted that I kept checking back and never saw a response from anyone. Then just today I got an email from the forum saying there was a new post on this topic, but your response is dated the same day and only an hour later than my post!

I have OpenGL and it has been working fine with all other programs that use it. And now for something else weird, I have tried to run sheetcam several times over the last few months with the same crash and error, but just now I tried again and it starts right up! The only thing I can think of is there was a bug in some version of a package (maybe OpenGL) and one of my recent updates fixed it.

Anyhow, looks like it’s working now. Thanks!

I recently had a major blowup on the forum and have been struggling to restore everything. You probably got the email while I was working on restoring everything.

I would guess that your crashing was OpenGl. I found a number of OpenGl problems in SheetCam so the next release should be less likely to crash.

Hi Les (and anyone else having this problem),

The issue seems to be related to the implementation of OpenGL installed. As far as I can tell, the default is now the SGI version (libgl1-mesa-glx) but you need to use the original Mesa project one (libgl1-mesa-swx11). Once I’d swapped over it ran great!

On a side note, Les will you be updating the Linux version in-line with the Windows one? I mainly use Linux so going back and forth to Windows can be a bit of a pain.

Cheers,

Andrew

That is interesting. The Linux version is pretty out of date. I am working on a new release.

Would you be able to work with a tarball rather than an installer?

Hi Les,

Yes tar version would be fine.

Cheers,

Andrew