part in a part

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
makovai

part in a part

Post by makovai »

I have a file with parts inside the scrap of other parts and the software makes the id cuts with OD toolpaths.
Only on the parts in a part. Does everything else correct.
I have all id cuts on there own layer as well as OD cuts on its own layer. But the software is still confused.

What am I missing?
makovai

Re: part in a part

Post by makovai »

update:
By moving parts to individual layers and making many operations I got it to correctly make a toolpath, but there has to be a way to do this with just a single internal and external operation.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

Maybe a picture would help, but wouldn't you want the part to cut on the outside? The material outside of the part is scrap, correct? So the leads should be in the scrap.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

In most cases I recommend putting all of your part outlines on one layer. If your drawing includes the outline of the scrap, put that on a different layer.
Now you can use an outside offset and let SheetCam figure out inside/outside offsets. In your cut operation go to the cut path tab and make sure you don't have 'shortest path' selected. That one ignores inside/outside cut priority.
makovai

Post by makovai »

As I mentioned I did get it working by doing exactly what les said. I was just hoping I didn’t have to make so many different layers. This post was just to see if there was something I was doing wrong. Thanks for the help.