Turning module

Request and discuss new features
Rustifer

Re: Turning module

Post by Rustifer »

OK, 1 more.
I'm getting ready to buy the lic and cut some actual parts. But can't get past this collision detail.
Not sure how to get around it as I've configured the tool many ways to allow sufficient clearance ... ( I think).

Looks like it might want to rapid to the clearance X through the relief angle of the bit ... ? Not sure.
Rapid collision.jpg
Rapid collision.jpg (82.85 KiB) Viewed 982 times
Attachments
Rapid collision.job
(5.91 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

It looks like the taper from the tool post angle is caused by the path generator appying the tool path angle the wrong way around. Reversing the turrent angle generates the correct tool paths but simulation will get upset. I'll have to fix this.

The outer diameter and inner diameter are roughly the equivalent to Dolphin's X start and end X coordinates. I must admit I plagiarised a bit from Fusion 360's workflow. It's a very long time since I last used Dolphin.

The rapid collision warning is a tricky one to fix. The tool paths are fine. If you zoom in on the collision area and simulate the cut at very low speed you can see it is fine. The problem is in the way simulation works. It works in discrete steps (roughly 30 steps/second). The amount the tool moves between steps increases as the feed rate increases. The bigger the steps the less accurate collision detection is. I need to do some work on this to make it less trigger happy.
djreiswig

Post by djreiswig »

It amazes me every day how a one man show is able to create such a robust piece of software like SheetCam. Kudos, Les.
Rustifer

Post by Rustifer »

Les Newell wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:04 am

The rapid collision warning is a tricky one to fix. The tool paths are fine. If you zoom in on the collision area and simulate the cut at very low speed you can see it is fine. The problem is in the way simulation works. It works in discrete steps (roughly 30 steps/second). The amount the tool moves between steps increases as the feed rate increases. The bigger the steps the less accurate collision detection is. I need to do some work on this to make it less trigger happy.
Hi Les. looks like maybe the initial perpendicular retract should be at feed rate, then rapid. Or, more like the way the rapid retraction is done in the M3 wizards ...G00 angled away from the shoulder.
Thanks !
wiz retract.jpg
wiz retract.jpg (12.98 KiB) Viewed 953 times
Rustifer

Post by Rustifer »

Attempting a G0 while the tool is currently "under" the material.
An exaggerated view .....
Maybe G1 out the depth of the cut to clear the material, then G0.
G00 collision.jpg
G00 collision.jpg (53.24 KiB) Viewed 949 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Sorry for the late reply. I just realized what is wrong. In the passes tab of your cut operation it is worth setting up a lead in and lead out. A good starting point for both lead in and lead out is an arc radius of 1mm (0.04") and a line length at least equal to your cut depth. Set the angle to 45 degrees for lead in and 0 for lead out.
Rustifer

Post by Rustifer »

The lead in/out addresses that issue nicely, thanks.

:P