A couple of SheetCam Questions

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
JoeClark

A couple of SheetCam Questions

Post by JoeClark »

I know there is a dedicated SheetCam forum here, but it doesn't seem to get much traffic, and since this is plasma-related, I'm guessing many of you are already familiar....

Anyway, I'm brand new to all of this stuff, and actually just got SheetCam loaded a couple days ago and have been messing with it for a few hours here and there. My questions so far:

1. If I have a square inside corner drawn, and I need the material removed from that corner on the actual part, is there a way to do this? I've done some messing around and looking at the various settings, but can't seem to find anything that will allow me to "push" the plasma cut-path into that corner to clear out the material. Yes, I know I can't cut square corners with plasma, but in order to fit a square plastic bezel into a square I've cut out of the sheet with plasma, I'm thinking there has to be a setting somewhere to allow me to push the plasma path farther into the corner.

2. I've got some areas of my drawing where I've got a .045" wide slot cut out, but since the plasma kerf is listed as wider than that, it just skips the plasma cut path over that area. Is there any way to force it to cut there even though I know that area will end up at larger than .045"? Most of the drawings I'm trying to cut with plasma I was formerly having farmed out to laser or water-jet. I don't really want to spend day re-drawing dozens of drawings just to open these slots up .010" when they are not that critical if they are plasma-kerf width.

For more details : explainer video
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

If I have a square inside corner drawn, and I need the material removed from that corner on the actual part, is there a way to do this?
You can get close using 'Loop sharp corners'. Set the loop size to about half the kerf width and select 'arc'.
I've got some areas of my drawing where I've got a .045" wide slot cut out, but since the plasma kerf is listed as wider than that, it just skips the plasma cut path over that area
One way is to move those areas to a different layer. Now set up a tool with a smaller kerf and use that tool on your new layer.
In the future it is better to just draw them as a single line. In that case SheetCam will follow the center of the line.