Having issues and Questions

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
rockaukum

Having issues and Questions

Post by rockaukum »

1. Will sheetcam do vcarve inlays? If so, how is it done? One has to be inside and one has to be outside. Can't seem to get vcarve function to cut outside.
2. When doing a vcarve I check the pocket option. When I try to process the action, I get errors? I can create separate functions to accomplish this but why is the feature not working?
Any help would be great!
Thanks,
RA
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Why do you want to use V carving for inlays? Could you explain further what you want to achieve.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Les,
I have been successful with the "regular" method of doing inlays by way of using -.005 as an offset allowance. the big reason for wanting to use v carving for inlays is that this method allows for very intricate work. Such as inlays that come to a point and much finer details that regular bit inlays just don't allow (at least that I am aware of). I have been following a thread on the vetric forum that details the method and have tried it with varied results which made me wonder if sheetcam was capable of doing this process. Here is the link to the forum posting: http://forum.vectric.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=564.
Is this something coming in the future? I though I had read a post here which led me to believe you were working on this feature....
Also, The pocket function with the v carving feature within sheetcam will not process. I get an error every time I try it. I am able however, to do it with separate steps.
Thanks for any help you can provide!
Rockaukum
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I have not come across that method before.
Could you send me an example job where the pocket doesn't work.
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

It seems to be a great process once you get it figured out. Hope you are able to get it worked out to run with sheetcam. That would be nice.
I have emailed to you the file created when I try to process a V-Carve with the pocket feature enabled.
Thanks much!
rockaukum
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

If you look closely at the corners of the two rectangles they don't meet up properly. If you clean up those corners it should work correctly.

Are you going to inlay just the text or are you going to do the outer rectangle as well?
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Hi Les,
Thanks, I got the drawing cleaned up and that got rid of the weird corners and drill points outside the corners however it still would not process the actions. If the pocket bit is too large to completely clean out the pocket, could this be the cause of the failure? With that in mind, I am able to create a separate pocket action and with the same mill size, same caution about not cutting (end mill too large for all areas) all areas and it will process just fine.
On the inlay, It is a different design on a much smaller scale. Just wondering if you had plans on creating a process within v-carve that will create the tool paths automatically. Completely selfish as trying to calculate the allowances is difficult and requires a lot of trial and error.
Thanks again,
rockaukum
rockaukum

Post by rockaukum »

Les,
I went ahead and tried a different drawing and am still getting the processing error?
rockaukum