Dxf help

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
Alabass

Dxf help

Post by Alabass »

Trying to get the attached file into Sheetcam to create gcode. I need to make a solid rectangle with the name and paws cut out. I had to modify the text some to keep the insides from falling out of the R,A, and D. When I open the DXF file in QCad everything looks fine but when I import it into Sheetcam, I can't see it. I'm new at this so I'm sure I'm missing something. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Attachments
Renegade.jpg
Renegade.jpg (36.46 KiB) Viewed 2265 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Is that the original drawing? That is a bitmap image. SheetCam only accepts verctor drawings. The dxf file format does allow both but SheetCam will ignore any bitmaps.

Bitmap images such as jpg,gif etc are made up of colored dots. For instance a line is just a row of dots. The problem is that the image does not contain any information about how that drawing is constructed.

Vector images however are made up of instructions. For instance a line is stored as 'draw a line from here to there at this thickness'. This is easy to convert to machining code.

There are programs that can convert from bitmap to vector. Inkscape and CorelDraw for instance have tracing functions but to be honest the results aren't that great. I personally prefer to trace over the image in cad.
Alabass

DXF

Post by Alabass »

Sorry Les, I had trouble loading the DXF file. I'll try again.
Attachments
Renegade.dxf
(104.37 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I had a look at the dxf. It appears to contain a vector rectangle and an embedded bitmap which is probably the image you want to cut. You will need to convert the bitmap image to a vector drawing.
Alabass

DXF

Post by Alabass »

Thanks Les, I knew I was missing something. Like I said, I'm new at this.
Attachments
RenegadeFinished2.JPG
RenegadeFinished2.JPG (138.3 KiB) Viewed 2241 times