Overlapping outlines?

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
WiKKiDWidgets

Overlapping outlines?

Post by WiKKiDWidgets »

I am working with a programmer who has made a script to export DXF files from Blender 3D as Polylines instead of Polyfaces. The script is functional and I am able to use it to export a useable (2.5D) DXF file for SheetCAM. Thats the good news! Albeit, each DXF export is returning an error when it is opened in SheetCAM.

Code: Select all

This drawing contains overlapping Outlines. The dupicates have been removed.
I have opened the same file in Accutrans and cannot see anything amiss. (If I do nothing in Accutrans but save the file again, it works flawlessly with SheetCAM) I've also re-imported them to Blender but it gets an error parsing the file. I have snooped through the SheetCAM manual, and searched over the Forums here and did not see this specific error anywhere. Is anyone familiar with this error? And more importantly can give me the gist of what SheetCAM is seeing that causes it?

On a side note, the export does successfully import after the error, and seems to be fine.

Thanks!
WiKKiDWidgets

Overlapping outlines?

Post by WiKKiDWidgets »

I am working with a programmer who has made a script to export DXF files from Blender 3D as Polylines instead of Polyfaces. The script is functional and I am able to use it to export a useable (2.5D) DXF file for SheetCAM. Thats the good news! Albeit, each DXF export is returning an error when it is opened in SheetCAM.

This drawing contains overlapping Outlines. The dupicates have been removed.

I have opened the same file in Accutrans and cannot see anything amiss. (If I do nothing in Accutrans but save the file again, it works flawlessly with SheetCAM) I've also re-imported them to Blender but it gets an error parsing the file. I have snooped through the SheetCAM manual, and searched over the Forums here and did not see this specific error anywhere. Is anyone familiar with this error? And more importantly can give me the gist of what SheetCAM is seeing that causes it?

On a side note, the export does successfully import after the error, and seems to be fine.

Thanks!

-------------------- m2f --------------------

Reply to this post simply by hitting reply in your email client or you can read this topic online here:
http://www.forum.sheetcam.com/viewtopic.php?p=8565#8565

LesNewell

Post by LesNewell »

This message means that some lines in the drawing are duplicated. If you are converting a 3D shape it is quite likely for this to happen. One example is if you have drawn a vertical square face. The top and bottom of the face will probably both get exported as lines with the same coordinates.

Duplicated lines can cause all sorts of nasty problems in CAM so SheetCam automatically removes them. You can either ignore the message or ask your programmer to add checks to his code that makes sure lines aren't duplicated.
LesNewell

Overlapping outlines?

Post by LesNewell »

This message means that some lines in the drawing are duplicated. If you are converting a 3D shape it is quite likely for this to happen. One example is if you have drawn a vertical square face. The top and bottom of the face will probably both get exported as lines with the same coordinates.

Duplicated lines can cause all sorts of nasty problems in CAM so SheetCam automatically removes them. You can either ignore the message or ask your programmer to add checks to his code that makes sure lines aren't duplicated.

Reply to this post simply by hitting reply in your email client or you can read this topic online here:
http://www.forum.sheetcam.com/viewtopic.php?p=8566#8566

WiKKiDWidgets

Post by WiKKiDWidgets »

Hmmmm ok, I kinda though thats what it was, but we are working with a 100% flat 2D (0 Z-axis) DXF to begin with. Just wanted to confirm its what I thought it was. Python script needs some more tweaking it looks like.

Thanks Les.
WiKKiDWidgets

Overlapping outlines?

Post by WiKKiDWidgets »

Hmmmm ok, I kinda though thats what it was, but we are working with a 100% flat 2D (0 Z-axis) DXF to begin with. Just wanted to confirm its what I thought it was. Python script needs some more tweaking it looks like.

Thanks Les.

http://www.forum.sheetcam.com/viewtopic.php?p=8567#8567

projectcnc

Post by projectcnc »

LesNewell wrote:This message means that some lines in the drawing are duplicated. If you are converting a 3D shape it is quite likely for this to happen.
(My first post) I recently started getting that message. I use SketchUp for my CAD. I don't know but I suspect my 2d drawing had the duplicate lines as a result of copy and paste. In other words I pasted too much of an image on top of another image. Just food for thought.
projectcnc

Overlapping outlines?

Post by projectcnc »

LesNewell wrote:
This message means that some lines in the drawing are duplicated. If you are converting a 3D shape it is quite likely for this to happen.
(My first post) I recently started getting that message. I use SketchUp for my CAD. I don't know but I suspect my 2d drawing had the duplicate lines as a result of copy and paste. In other words I pasted too much of an image on top of another image. Just food for thought.

http://www.forum.sheetcam.com/viewtopic.php?p=8568#8568