Problem with ramping

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
buckie555

Problem with ramping

Post by buckie555 »

I've got a simple toolpath that cuts out a square with rounded corners. The path has 2mm lead in and lead out arcs with a 45 degree ramp specified. I would expect a plunging ramp to take place in the 2mm arc lead in but instead the arc is executed at a depth of 0mm and the ramping begins along one of the sides of the square and at a much shallower angle than 45 degrees. The result of this is that when the toolpath has completed 3 sides of the square have been cut to the correct depth but the fourth is only fully cut at one end ramping to zero depth at the other end. I'm using 3.1.13 although I've tried downgrading to 3.1.1 with the same results. I'm not certain but I'm reasonably confident that this ramping was being executed correctly in a version prior to 3.1.1. Let me know if you need any more info. Support file attached.

On a minor note I've installed 3.1.13 but help->about shows 3.1.12

Regards,

Neil
Les Newell
Site Admin

Problem with ramping

Post by Les Newell »

Hi Neil,

I can't see a problem here. If you rotate the view (hold shift and drag
with the mouse), do your leadins look like the attached image?

What post processor are you using? It could be a post problem.
On a minor note I've installed 3.1.13 but help->about shows 3.1.12
Yes - I forgot to update the version number.

Les
buckie555

Post by buckie555 »

Les,

I take it all back. I've checked the gcode produced (mach2 post) and it is correct. The problem is not with sheetcam at all but with cncsimulator which erroneously shows the ramping taking place in the first linear move when infact it's executed in the lead-in arc as expected. Thanks for looking at this, sorry for wasting your time. I certainly won't be quite so trusting of my simulator in the future. Ironically had I gone ahead and just cut the part I wouldn't even have noticed the issue.

Thanks again,

Regards

Neil :oops:
Les Newell
Site Admin

Problem with ramping

Post by Les Newell »

It may be an idea to pass the code on to the writers of cncsimulator. If
they are aware of the problem hopefully they can fix it.