Hypertherm 45XP tool for Marking

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
Greg-MSB

Hypertherm 45XP tool for Marking

Post by Greg-MSB »

I'm running SheetCam 7.0.21 with a Dual head AVID PRO 120 CNC and the Hypertherm 45XP. The control is Mach 4. I've contacted AVID and they do not have any tool definitions for a marking tool in their tool set. I do have the cut and marking chart (attached) but I'm not clear on how to setup the tool in SheetCam. I plan on using the 420542 and 420515 Powermax shielded consumables for heavy marking in mild steel. I'm using THC with an Ohmic sensor on the torch. I'm looking for help as I don't want to pierce the part as that is one of the fields in the tool parameters. I'm assuming I can create a layer in sheet cam for marking with no offset for the lines to be marked. I'm guessing the AVID post has no ability for tool changes so I may need to create 2 G-code programs. One for marking and one for cutting. Just wondering if anyone here can help.
Attachments
Hypertherm_Marking_Consumables_CutCharts.pdf
(174.93 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
bLouChip

Re: Hypertherm 45XP tool for Marking

Post by bLouChip »

coincidence that I just saw this marking process performed in a demo at FabTech tradeshow in Chicago this week! I'm going to try it soon.
So according to your posted pdf, set amps=10 on the power unit, and in SC tool set Pierce Height = 4.6mm, Pierce Delay = 0 (or may need 0.1s), and Cut Height = 4.6, and FeedRate = 2540mm/m. These are the params for compressed air. The params for Argon on the second page are significantly different so adjust if that case.
Good luck.
If I find different results I'll post here in a day or so after trying this process also, I have the PMX45 torch, very similar.
MillRight CNC MegaV XL XYZA Tri-CAM Mill/Plasma/Laser
grbl 1.1i, UGS, Win 11, LightBurn, SC, Aspire, and sometimes [con]Fusion360
my youtube channel