File Import Oddities

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
Mr. Fixit

File Import Oddities

Post by Mr. Fixit »

Hi All,

I have had several instances in the past couple of weeks wherein i start up the PC and open Sheetcam and it is as if Sheetcam was never used. I have to re-set all of the parameters and tools.

Now I have a very confusing thing going on. If I import a file in DXF format that was drawn in Inkscape and scaled to inches, the file comes it, but it is sized to about 1/4 scale. If I import the same file in SVG format, the sizing is correct, but the multiple objects withing the design are haphazardly placed on the screen. I have checked all of the settings and everything apears to be correct.

I know that I am having computer problems (Linux Mini) which is in the works of being replaced by CandCNC. Not sure if this has anything to do with it. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,

Steve
jim1108

Post by jim1108 »

I have had the same problem with SC loosing parameters on occasion when my windows 10 computer crashes(its a cheaper computer with only 2 gigs memory I use for shop work). This only happens once every month or so. I use SC 3-5 times a week.
I keep a backup of the tool list on the cloud and a jump drive so that I can always reload it. I have to also reload the registration numbers(which I keep written down nearby) for my rotary and v-carve plug-in as well.
This problem has only happened several times, and it occurs even if SC was not in use. I cannot figure out a solution for it.
Mr. Fixit

Post by Mr. Fixit »

jim1108 wrote:I have had the same problem with SC loosing parameters on occasion when my windows 10 computer crashes(its a cheaper computer with only 2 gigs memory I use for shop work). This only happens once every month or so. I use SC 3-5 times a week.
I keep a backup of the tool list on the cloud and a jump drive so that I can always reload it. I have to also reload the registration numbers(which I keep written down nearby) for my rotary and v-carve plug-in as well.
This problem has only happened several times, and it occurs even if SC was not in use. I cannot figure out a solution for it.
This has happened to me 3 times today. It is frustrating, but I am pretty sure that it is the computer, not the software. The bigger issue which is very puzzling is the sizing as I had previously stated. Does anyone have a suggestion, or heard of this before. I just tried again with a new file. The output size should have been 11.5" wide & 10.8" high from Inkscape. When I imported the file to SC in DXF, the sizing id about 3" wide and 2.5" tall. I have re-checked all of the settings and everything seems correct.

As always, any suggestions are appreciated...
jim1108

Post by jim1108 »

When you import the dxf file, there is a scaling box. Make sure you have the correct check box selected. If you want to process it in inches or metric. You may have the custom check box selected by mistake.
Mr. Fixit

Post by Mr. Fixit »

jim1108 wrote:When you import the dxf file, there is a scaling box. Make sure you have the correct check box selected. If you want to process it in inches or metric. You may have the custom check box selected by mistake.
Jim,

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately this is not the issue. I believe that I have gone over everything numerous times and it all seems to be set correctly. Very odd :x
PK

Post by PK »

Can you open the DXF (after Inkscape) in a CAD program? I would and then measure in the CAD program to ensure you are getting the correct base unit from Inkscape.

HTH
Paul
Mr. Fixit

Post by Mr. Fixit »

PK wrote:Can you open the DXF (after Inkscape) in a CAD program? I would and then measure in the CAD program to ensure you are getting the correct base unit from Inkscape.

HTH
Paul
Great suggestion. I did so in ACAD and to my surprise the output seems to be what SC shows, at least for the one file that I checked. I will look into this more tomorrow and report back.

Thank you..
PK

Post by PK »

Good check. What version of Inkscape are you using?

I happen to have v.0.91 on this installation and it includes a base unit selection (mm, cm, in, ft, etc) when saving as a DXF.
dennisshaw

Post by dennisshaw »

From Inkscape use SVG file instead of DXF this will work, I use Inkscape and have trouble when using Dxf from this program to Sheetcam.
Mr. Fixit

Post by Mr. Fixit »

PK wrote:Good check. What version of Inkscape are you using?

I happen to have v.0.91 on this installation and it includes a base unit selection (mm, cm, in, ft, etc) when saving as a DXF.
i have version 0.92 and it does have the same feature for selecting the base unit size.

Thanks,

Steve
Mr. Fixit

Post by Mr. Fixit »

dennisshaw wrote:From Inkscape use SVG file instead of DXF this will work, I use Inkscape and have trouble when using Dxf from this program to Sheetcam.
The DXF was working just fine since I set up the machine about a month ago.

When I try SVG, wierd things happen. First of all, when I import into SC it takes a full 75-90 seconds to complete the import. Then, the individual components within the file appear on screen in erroneous places, both within the work area of the material size, and outside of it.

As I had previously stated, the PC has issues and is being replaced by CandCNC, so this may be the culprit.

Thanks,

Steve
Mr. Fixit

Post by Mr. Fixit »

Attached are the three files. Two from Inkscape (SVG & DXF) and the SC part file. Please let me know if you see anything odd.

Thanks again..
Attachments
Life at the Lake 9.dxf
(259.99 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Life at the Lake 9.svg
(47.34 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
Life at the Lake 9.tap
(319 Bytes) Downloaded 99 times
Mr. Fixit

Post by Mr. Fixit »

As a follow up to this, I saved the files and did the post processing on my office computer, put the .tap file on a thumb drive and opened the file on the machine computer. I can't explain any of this, but it worked perfectly. I checked each and every setting between the office set up in both Inkscape and SC and they are identical. I can't wait for the new computer to arrive.

Thank you all for your assistance. :D