SheetCAM + UCCNC + Tablet + Scribe + Rotary Plugin

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
ne(V)esis

SheetCAM + UCCNC + Tablet + Scribe + Rotary Plugin

Post by ne(V)esis »

Hello,

This is my first post. So I will start saying just a bit about me before my questions and doubts. My name is Juan Carlos and I'm from Mexico; I'm 29 years old and I've made 2 CNC machines (this is my current CNC Router Pic 1, Pic 2,Pic 3) using Mach3. I'm using Mach3 2010 Screenset and it's very useful! I'm still working and I need some improves into my CNC Router, but I hope to make them soon.

Currently I'm designing a project, a CNC Plasma Tube cutting machine (attached images) for a max 8" OD * 600cm and SheetCAM it's the software that I want to use to generate the G-Codes. Until here is all OK, but I have some doubts:
  • I'm not a professional CNC user, even less with CNC Plasma machines & software/hardware, in fact I'm new with that... So please, some help will be very useful!
  • Recently I've donwloaded SheetCAM (TNG Development version) and noticed that it comes with many Mach3 post-processors. Also, I want to use a Tablet with UCCNC (with at least a 4GB RAM Tablet) instead a PC and also their cards (CNCdrive) that I think are a good option, like the UC400ETH. I wonder if the all/any Mach3 post-processor in SheetCAM are fully compatible with UCCNC.
  • Talking about SheetCAM's post-processors; I would like to know which one can help me to my needs; due I only want to cut pipes, square/rectangular tubes and maybe angles, but not sheet/plates... So, 4th axis cutting will be needed.
  • In addition to the 4th axis, I want to make some engravings with a pneumatic scriber. I'm not sure if the same post-processor can do both tasks. I'll love to do something like this videos: Wolfesmetalfab or jgsturboconm.
  • Likewise, I'm not sure about which THC to buy; I mean there are like 3 that seems OK to me: Proma THC-SD (in this Planet CNC diagram seems very easy to wire up the Z axis). PriceCNC AVHC10 or MiniTHC (in which the installation seems to be fast and secure, but I'm not sure if I can use the Tablet with this product...). All of them are almost the same price and seems to be the best quality.
  • Finally, talking about the material detect switch, due my X & Z axes design, I'm not sure, but I think that my best way need to be ohmic sensing due I'm not using a floating head design. But as I said, I'm new with plasma rigs and all I know it's because I've read... Does the THC (like Proma THC-SD wiring or MiniTHC) need necessarily the ohmic sensor? I ask due Proma and an ohmic sensor wiring seems to be almost the same!
I hope that someone can help me and clear my doubts.
Thanks!

Best regards,
ne(V)esis
Attachments
Plasma [Tube Processing Center].JPG
Plasma [Tube Processing Center].JPG (201.17 KiB) Viewed 4130 times
Ejes X & Z [Plasma] 2.JPG
Ejes X & Z [Plasma] 2.JPG (398.99 KiB) Viewed 4130 times
Ejes X & Z [Plasma].JPG
Ejes X & Z [Plasma].JPG (408.87 KiB) Viewed 4130 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: SheetCAM + UCCNC + Tablet + Scribe + Rotary Plugin

Post by Les Newell »

ne(V)esis wrote: [*] Recently I've donwloaded SheetCAM (TNG Development version) and noticed that it comes with many Mach3 post-processors. Also, I want to use a Tablet with UCCNC (with at least a 4GB RAM Tablet) instead a PC and also their cards (CNCdrive) that I think are a good option, like the UC400ETH. I wonder if the all/any Mach3 post-processor in SheetCAM are fully compatible with UCCNC.
The Mach posts should be pretty close. I can modify a post for you if need be.
[*] Talking about SheetCAM's post-processors; I would like to know which one can help me to my needs; due I only want to cut pipes, square/rectangular tubes and maybe angles, but not sheet/plates... So, 4th axis cutting will be needed.
You will need the RotaryPlasma plugin for that. You also need to use one of the rotary post processors.
[*] In addition to the 4th axis, I want to make some engravings with a pneumatic scriber.
That shouldn't be a problem. Most of the rotary posts can handle a scriber as well.
[*] Likewise, I'm not sure about which THC to buy; I mean there are like 3 that seems OK to me: Proma THC-SD (in this Planet CNC diagram seems very easy to wire up the Z axis). PriceCNC AVHC10 or MiniTHC (in which the installation seems to be fast and secure, but I'm not sure if I can use the Tablet with this product...). All of them are almost the same price and seems to be the best quality.
I am afraid I can't really help with this one. I haven't used any of those THC systems.
[*] Finally, talking about the material detect switch, due my X & Z axes design, I'm not sure, but I think that my best way need to be ohmic sensing due I'm not using a floating head design. But as I said, I'm new with plasma rigs and all I know it's because I've read... Does the THC (like Proma THC-SD wiring or MiniTHC) need necessarily the ohmic sensor?
You definitely need some sort of touch-off system, especially if you want to cut square/rectangular tube. Rotary cutting is very sensitive to small misalignment and you need to touch off on the work to get the exact height.

I personally perfer a floating head rather than ohmic sensing. Ohmic sensing is OK but it can be fooled if the work is dirty and doesn't make a good contact. The easy way to make a floating head is to use a short piece of square section linear rail. Short rails with blocks often turn up cheap on eBay.
ne(V)esis

Post by ne(V)esis »

Les, thanks for your replies!

It' good to know that you can help me with the post-processor and make some minus modifications to fit into my needs! I was really nervous regarding how to make a post-processor works for my needs (I don't know almost nothing about VB script), but now with your support I feel better!

Sorry for my late reply, but my internet service was not working properly untill today!

One bad thing I've heard from the guys of UCCNC forum is that the toolpath for the 4th axis does not work... That's a real low blow, since the software has really good design and I guess it have a good potential...!

When I be able to begin the test of the machine, I will let you know and hope can help me with the post-processor for UCCNC or Mach3 (hope not, but it can be a option)!

Thanks again,
Best reagards

ne(V)esis
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

The rotary posts are set up for a 'dumb' controller that doesn't do it's own rotary compensation so that shouldn't be a problem. Define your rotary axis the same as any of the linear axes.
russ079

Post by russ079 »

On the THC Ive currently got the PriceCNC AVHC10, which all works fine bit is a bit temperamental. Some times does not pickup the volts, normally after changing the settings on it.

Ive just bought one from Razordance, not yet fitted will let you know what its like when up and running.
rrossetti

Post by rrossetti »

hi

the price thc is far superior it has more things to it for achieving better results
why dont you email and ask albert for some guidance

yes i have used all
promo thc good but limited
razordance limited ok on hypertherm
minithc to much wiring

this is what we use on our machines
http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/r-tech-c ... 4ft-x-4ft/

rob