Gap on pocket operation

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
SkyMoCo

Gap on pocket operation

Post by SkyMoCo »

I am trying to cut a shallow pocket in-between two circles. But I am leaving a gap between the third and fourth cuts. I've tried decreasing the percentage of overlap and I can get it to go away, but I don't think I am doing this operation properly.

I've attached my DXF file and job file, what I am trying to do is cut the pocket between the inner and outer circle of the HUB layer. I'm using version 3.1.35.
Attachments
Pully 3.job
(10.89 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
Pully.dxf
(117.26 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Very high step over settings do cause problems. Try a stepover of 70%.
Redlunn

Post by Redlunn »

I too am having issues with pocketing in sheetcam. I am using a step over of 70% and when completed it will leave material in the pocket area. Even within sheetcam it is obvious material is going to be missed by looking at the tool paths. Setting the stepover to a lower value like 50% will eliminate the issue but the cut takes significantly longer with this setting. I am using version 4.0.2. I would be happy to post files but I can recreate this with almost any file so I assume someone else is familiar with it. Any help is appreciated.

Redlunn
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I am afraid this is a known problem but I currently can't find a good solution. Step overs of 50% or less almost always work.
PK

Post by PK »

Are there any updates on this? I can change to 50&, but that adds too much time.
Thanks...
PK
sheetcnc

Post by sheetcnc »

[quote="Les Newell"]I am afraid this is a known problem but I currently can't find a good solution. Step overs of 50% or less almost always work.[/quote]

Seven years after first report and this significant bug is [i]still[/i] unsolved?!

We're trying to use SheetCAM with a rigid hot-wire cutter which requires exactly 100% step-over. SheetCAM leaves lots of material in the pocket un-cut.

And we're using - or trying to use - SheetCAM to cut MDF pockets with 95% stepover. But SheetCAM leaves substantial rectangular lumps of the material un-cut in parts of the pocket. Which then break off when deep in the pocket, fouling the cutter and spoiling the job.

And the only solution is to use 50% stepover?