Sheetcam for Lunix

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
WyoGreen

Sheetcam for Lunix

Post by WyoGreen »

I'm just in the beginning stages of converting from Mach3 to CommandCNC.
I'm running a Dell Optix 755 with Xbuntu 14.04 LTE operating system.
What's happening to me is after I have started Sheetcam (V6.1.35) everything seems to work fine. But if I click on the Tool Table Editor icon on the left side of the screen, it brings up a blank screen with no tools on it, and I am unable to switch to any of the other tabs. Any way I exit the table shuts down Sheetcam with no errors. Anybody got any ideas about what's going on?

Steve
WyoGreen

Post by WyoGreen »

As a followup, over on the CandCNC forum, there is another person having the same problem, so perhaps it is a little more widespread problem.

As a work around, if I double click on one of the tools in the tool window, a tool editor window opens and you can uncheck the "auto name tools button" there. (that was what I was trying to do when I discovered the problem)

I tried to download the Sheetcam for Lunix from the Sheetcam website to try reloading Sheetcam. When I click on the download link, a new tab opens and fills with garbage. This happens whether I try downloading it in Windows or Xubuntu.

Steve
PK

Post by PK »

I haven't tried SheetCam for Linux in quite awhile. I run the Windows version using Wine and works for the most part.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I am in the process of rewriting chunks of the tool table editor and attempting to add an operation table editor. I'll make sure I test the changes on Linux to make sure they work there as well.
ctxjeep

sheetcam for Linux- tools and in/mm

Post by ctxjeep »

Also having the same problem with the tool table, makes it a lot easier to migrate all of our cut parameter changes we have made to our system instead of tool by tool. Just changed from Mach to CommandCNC and got everything installed and tested today, but unable to open tool tables. Also can not change from MM to inches. Can check the box, but everything is still in MM
WyoGreen

Post by WyoGreen »

Just today I discovered the tooltable file you use in Mach3 is the same file you can use in the Linux system. Just copy the file from your windows system and paste it in the "/home/plasma/SheetCAM-CandCNC/TOOLSets/" directory on your Linux system.
Then import the toolset into Sheetcam and save it as you default tooset.
Steve
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

The Linux and Windows versions are functionally virtually identical so files created on the Windows version will work on Linux and vice-versa. I have one set of source code that can be either compiled for Windows or for Linux.
WyoGreen

Post by WyoGreen »

Another thing to consider when converting from the CandCNC mach3 to CandCNC CommandCNC. The cutting rules in Mach3 are different from the CommandCNC cutting rules.So if you import a tooltable from the windows version to the Lunix version, you will have strange problems when using the cutting rules. (don't ask me how I know :roll: )

Steve
WyoGreen

Post by WyoGreen »

Still learning on the Linux Sheetcam.

The one thing I noticed today that may bear on my original post problem.
When I save a tool table to the desktop on my Windows machine, it is saved with a Carriage Return at the end of each line. When I save a tool table on my Linux machine to the desktop it is saved without the CR's. Maybe the trouble with the Linux Sheetcam crashing when you try to open the tool table is that lack of the CR delineating each line.

Steve
PK

Post by PK »

What program are you using to view the tool table?
WyoGreen

Post by WyoGreen »

I'm using notepad to view the tooltables
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

The linux standard for end of line is line feed, while Windows uses carriage return + line feed. The tool table code should be able to handle both.
WyoGreen

Post by WyoGreen »

So in continuing my investigation as to why trying to display the Tool Table crashes Sheetcam Linux, I ran Sheetcam in terminal mode and got the following errors.
The first two came when starting Sheetcam, the 3rd one showed up when clicking on the Tool Table button.

(SheetCamTNG-dev:4299): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_drawable_get_depth: assertion 'GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

** (SheetCamTNG-dev:4299): CRITICAL **: murrine_style_draw_flat_box: assertion 'width >= -1' failed

(SheetCamTNG-dev:4299): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_map: assertion 'GTK_WIDGET_CHILD_VISIBLE (widget)' failed

Now if I only had a clue as to what they mean! :wink:
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I found the problem a few days ago. A lot of the tool table code has now been rewritten and I have also added an operation table that works in the same way. I'll hopefully release a Linux update early next week.