Rotary Plasma

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
robertspark

Rotary Plasma

Post by robertspark »

Les (or anyone else who knows or can explain)

Rotary Plasma, Z offset...

After OnInt()

The first motion of the seems to retract the Z axis 1/2 the tube diameter + the clearance distance (my rapid clearance is 10mm, and my tube is 42.4mm OD, and the Z retracts 31.2mm)

Any reason for the Z axis retract half tube dia + offsets?

I thought I would be able to perform touchoffs the same as with flat plate using G31 Z-100 Fxxxx, then G92 X-xxx for my ohmic / switch offset, but it seems that the rotary plugin is fixated on the Z being 1/2 tube dia + clearance, pierce and cut height.

Is there a setting I could change, I guess I could understand this for 4th axis milling, but not rotary axis plasma

It's probably my understanding of 4th axis, but I can't see a setting to change anywhere as I've told it that the tool is a jet tool so thought our reference would have been the top of the tube.

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Rob
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

I did think that an easy fix would be to subtract the 1/2 the PipeDiameter variable from the Z-axis within the post processor, but then I wondered about what to do with rectangular / square section tube where the z-axis offset varies dependant upon A-axis movement.

I am not likely to do I beam or that would be a whole different animal?

I am using a PlasmaTool, and a JetOperation, hence would have thought the offset considerations would have been different to using a RotaryTool and a Contour/Pocket/Drilling Operation where z may have been referenced from the centre of the rotary object (although, I would have thought it would be easier to probe to the top of the object, then add the radius as offset).

Thanks,

Rob
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Rotary uses the tube center as Z0 because the surface height of the work depends on the angular axis position for all shapes apart from round.

If you set the refHome configuration variable to false the post will do a G31 then G92 which is exactly what you want. Take a look at the Reference() function to see how it does this.
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

Thanks Les very much,

I'll give it a go this evening.

(would be nice to have a muppets guide to rotary in the manual, I know time is short, wish lists long, on a side note, thanks very much for the center pierce to small radius circles recently added to the development version v30 I think cheers)

Rob
robertspark

Post by robertspark »

In hindsight it may be useful to have a muppets guide to all of the sold plugins within the manual, as I do try to look up the manual and see if its been updated from time to time.

I know I have the rotary, knife and v-carve, and have yet to get on to using the other two, hence sure they will throw up questions.

The audio on the rotary plugin youtube clip is not too good either, it all depends how you want to document it, I know that you tube clips have high viewing because you can always rewind and play again, where maybe the manuals are not read so well (I like both).

Thanks for your time,

Keep up the good work it is appreciated.

Rob