Conversational SheetCam

Posts redirected from the Yahoo mailing list
Brian L

Conversational SheetCam

Post by Brian L »

I could see something like this being useful for simple stuff, but if the part is even slightly complicated I think it could be a bit of trouble. Personally, most of my stuff starts as a full 3D model in Alibre. Then I output separate “drawings” for the different operations, something like “rear block, op10” then the second side would be "rear block op20” and so on. My CAD system is real easy to take the solid model and orient whatever side and in which ever orientation you need it in to get a drawing. Then it’s define a few layers and output a dxf file and off to the races.

Now, a question for you. I always modify my posted code a bit, my tool definition line shows up twice, sometimes my tools go back to Z .1 level, sometimes not. I tend to go thru and remove unnecessary Z moves between roughing passes, so the tool stays down, and any number of other mods. Once I do that I re-save the posted code. Now, my question, could your plug in be used more to visually watch the modified code to see if all the changes were correct? Kind of like a code trial run software.

My Milltronics software can do a “verify” with the code and show me all the tool paths and rapids, but a lot of the time I don’t turn on my a/c in the shop (it’s currently 112º today) until I’m actually ready to go machine parts, it would be nice to be able to do trial runs in the house...
Brian Lamb
blamb11@cox.net (blamb11@cox.net)
www.lambtoolworks.com

On Jun 17, 2015, at 9:25 AM, 'Vmax549' vmax549@embarqmail.com (vmax549@embarqmail.com) [sheetcam] <sheetcam@yahoogroups.com (sheetcam@yahoogroups.com)> wrote:
I have been loking into doing a new plugin for SheetCam that will aloow you to draw a shape in SheetCam directly from a command line input. After the shape is complete you would process it with standard Scam operations to create a working gcode file to produce that part.From a window you would type in Gcode commands one line at a time such as G0 X0 Y0 which would GOTO the coordinates X0 Y0PUSH update buttonG1 X1 Y0 Create a LINE from teh last point to the listed coordsPush update buttonG1 X1 Y1 Create LinePush update buttonG1 X0Y1 Create linePush update buttonG1 X0 Y0Push update buttonafter each line is entered and you push the update button Scam will update the screen and SHOW you what you just added. In this case it will show you each line as it is added to the shape. The end results will be a Square 1x1You would program it using Gcode words so it has some benifits as you become familar with Gcode words and how they are used. You basicaly only use Rapid G0 {Goto}Line G1 {Line}ArcL G2 {Arc to the left}ArcR G3 {Arc to the Right}Circle G2/3 {circle at center point}This would allow you to take a simple part drawing and create it in Scam without Cam. You take the drawing and start form a starting point then create ALL of the elements of the part(shape). After the shape is complete you process the part as you normally would in Scam.You could draw (create) the shape in either abs OR Inc mode depending on HOW the part is drawn up and dimensioned. Or even a combination of the different modesSO what do yall think ?? Is a conversational drawing package needed in Scam??I have Tested the procees in Scam manually and it works VERY well.Just a thought, (;-) TP-------------------- m2f --------------------Reply to this post simply by hitting reply in your email client or you can read this topic online here:http://www.forum.sheetcam.com/viewtopic.php?p=21813#21813-------------------- m2f --------------------

__._,_.___
Posted by: Brian Lamb <blamb11@cox.net>

Visit Your Group

Unsubscribe ([email]sheetcam-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe[/email]) &bull; Terms of Use

__,_._,___