Illustrator import fails

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
Davek0974

Illustrator import fails

Post by Davek0974 »

I'm trying to import a drawing from illustrator in dxf format, something that has worked many times before but this one is not importing correctly - two of the corners are cut off and paths overlap.

I have attached the dxf if anyone could test it please.
Attachments
Planter Stand End Panel.dxf
(191.17 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
PK

Re: Illustrator import fails

Post by PK »

I tried it with Draftsight and seems fine. I don't know if your program can handle blocks, but it is one block and seems to be saved in a version newer than R12.

I removed the block and saved it in R14 for you to test. Had to zip it up to attach.

HTH
Paul

Davek0974 wrote:I'm trying to import a drawing from illustrator in dxf format, something that has worked many times before but this one is not importing correctly - two of the corners are cut off and paths overlap.

I have attached the dxf if anyone could test it please.
Attachments
Planter Stand End Panel.NoBlock.R14.dxf.zip
(96.85 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

Thanks for that, I'll try it out tomorrow.

I was not aware of blocks?

It was created the same way as I usually do it - place an image in illustrator then image trace followed by expand, remove the fill and make the stroke 2pt.
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

I just nipped and tried it but still no good, same result.

I also went back to illustrator and ungrounded the trace the exported it as R14 DXF

Still no good, same result.
WyoGreen

Post by WyoGreen »

I loaded your file into CamBam, and it looked fine, did notice everything was splines. I then loaded it into SheetCam, and had the same results you did. I next loaded it back into CamBam, converted it to Polylines, then exported it to a .dxf file. I loaded that file into Sheetcam, and it worked fine. I've found that SheetCam doesn't like splines. So I'll try to attach the converted .dxf file to this post. (never done that before).

Edit: couldn't get the file to upload, even though it was smaller than the original. It would upload to about 56%, then just sit there.
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

Ok, thanks for trying,

I have just had the design guys at work (printers) look at it and the corner points of the outside frame were converted to flexible point instead of fixed points, they converted them back to fixed and it all works perfectly.

Something else to note for the future :)

What is the difference between a polyline and a spline?

I'm a bit new to this :)
PK

Post by PK »

I noticed the splines, too, and first saved it in R12 format (splines convert to polylines), but the file size was so large, I saved to R14.

To me, splines are more formable -if that's a word- but Draftsight doesn't work with splines for some operations, so I go back and forth. I have not noticed problems in SheetCam with splines. I think SheetCam converts splines to, maybe, polylines or short line segments.

Paul

WyoGreen wrote:I loaded your file into CamBam, and it looked fine, did notice everything was splines. I then loaded it into SheetCam, and had the same results you did. I next loaded it back into CamBam, converted it to Polylines, then exported it to a .dxf file. I loaded that file into Sheetcam, and it worked fine. I've found that SheetCam doesn't like splines. So I'll try to attach the converted .dxf file to this post. (never done that before).

Edit: couldn't get the file to upload, even though it was smaller than the original. It would upload to about 56%, then just sit there.