Machine data not loading...

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
Davek0974

Machine data not loading...

Post by Davek0974 »

I keep seeing when i load up sheetcam that it has not loaded the machine data correctly - table size or working envelope seem to default to 609 x 609mmm?

Is this an issue or am i doing something wrong?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

That's not one I've come across before. If you set the machine size then restart SheetCam does it change back?
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

I'll check that tomorrow, try and narrow it down a bit.

Thanks
WyoGreen

Post by WyoGreen »

I've had that happen to me also. At the time I was upgrading to a new computer, so I just downloaded the latest Sheetcam version to it, and things worked just fine then. I suspect that downloading a new copy of Sheetcam is what fixed the problem.

http://forum.sheetcam.com/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

Hmm, oddly it is working ok today ??

I'll blame Windows, it's the most likely reason :)
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

Not working today!

Just loaded up and went to machine options to check, i find working envelope and table dislplay set to 609.6mm X&Y, they were set to 602Y & 649X yesterday.

I loaded up my saved profile and find its put the Working envelop settings in the table display boxes and the working envelope boxes are empty - it should be the other way round as i only use the working envelope display.

Somethings not right.

This is whats in the saved machine file....
TableX1=0
TableX2=649
TableY1=0
TableY2=602
X1=0
X2=0
Y1=0
Y2=0
MaxHeight=1000
Origin=6
tableOrigin=6
ToolTime=0
RapidSpeed=2000

I corrected the errors and saved the machine again and this is now the file...
TableX1=0
TableX2=0
TableY1=0
TableY2=0
X1=0
X2=649
Y1=0
Y2=602
MaxHeight=1000
Origin=6
tableOrigin=6
ToolTime=0
RapidSpeed=2000
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

Somehow it just reset in the middle of doing some test jobs.

Checked the machine options tab and both working envelope and table area were set to 609.2mm X&Y

Reloaded the machine file and it put it all back again to normal.
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

I think I have found the problem...

The "Machine" data is being saved with the job files somehow.

The reason my data kept changing was that i had my machine set differently for some earlier jobs - small table size etc.

I have just tested it and the machine data definitely seems to be getting saved and loaded with each job - this is clearly wrong as the "machine" is a fixed entity not something that changes size all the time :) This data should be static and remain unless a new machine is manually loaded and saved etc.

Can someone confirm this?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I just checked and you are correct, machine data is saved with the job. The reasoning behind this is that you should get the same code out of a job every time you load it. It is a bad thing to load an old job and suddenly find it doesn't output the same code because you have changed some settings.
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

I can see that point of view Les, thanks but,,,

I presumed "Machine" data was pertinent to the physical machine, loading a job that was run on a different version of the machine would still cause issues.

Maybe be better to put the Post file used into the "Job" data fully, that way you could change say the working envelope or table size and the job would still compile properly as it knew the exact post used.

That would keep the machine type, working envelope and table display relative purely to the mechanical machine, the Post, which is software based would be relative to the actual job you want to compile.

Just an idea, now I know what goes on, I can catch it ;)
yellowman

Post by yellowman »

This data should be static and remain unless a new machine is manually loaded and saved etc.
Wolfes Metal Fab

Post by Wolfes Metal Fab »

In my case, i like that it works as it does. I use it for 2 machines, a mill and a plasma table. If i load an old job from the plasma, it automatically uses that machines setup. If i then load an old mill job, it loads that machine. If i loaded the job, and i was in charge of remembering to change to the correct machine, i more than likely would end up with scrap parts or a busted machine. :D