Feature Request, Update Tabs Automatically Upon Drawing Load

Request and discuss new features
michael.r.gamber

Feature Request, Update Tabs Automatically Upon Drawing Load

Post by michael.r.gamber »

It would be great to have an option when using a Template to have Sheetcam automatically delete and autocreate tabs based on the settings in the dialog. Right now we have some very nice templates that pretty much create g-code on the fly by simply loading a dxf file. BUT, the one thing that the user still has to do manually is clear and auto place the tabs by editing the operation and pressing the two buttons in the path dialog.

This and a way to batch process the action of loading a template, specifying a drawing file and executing the post processing would be fantastic.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

I'll have a think about auto tabbing.

I'm not all that keen on batch processing files. You really need to manually check each drawing before post processing. That way you can spot any problems in the drawing or issues with teh generated tool path.
michael.r.gamber

I understand your hesitation in batch processing, however we process 100,000lbs of aluminum per month here. Oh, and each piece we make is pretty much new code. That's several thousand g-code programs. Much of what we do was completely automated using custom software to generate g-code. However, we have recently switched a bunch of what we produce to Sheetcam because it gives us much more flexibility in the manufacturing department for creating machine specific code. It shortens the loop so to speak when something changes on a machine. For example speeds and feeds because a new type of tool. I would like to switch ALL generation of machine specific code to run thru Sheetcam using templates, pre-nested and properly layer named DXF files. The autoupdating of tabs (which I suggest be a checkbox per operation to allow updating of tabs upon drawing import) would be a necessary step towards this, and ultimately a way to automate the processing via a command line string where you specify dxf, template, post processor, and output folder. It's not for everyone, but a powerful feature for companies like mine. Also means I would need more licenses :D
michael.r.gamber

Les,

Have you thought about my post above regarding the ability to batch process creating g-code via a command line execution with parameters?
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Have you experimented with the quick load plugin? It speeds things up when you have to process a bunch of files.

I could add a command line option to specify drawing files but I am still uncomfortable about completely automating batch processing.
michael.r.gamber

Les Newell wrote:Have you experimented with the quick load plugin? It speeds things up when you have to process a bunch of files.

I could add a command line option to specify drawing files but I am still uncomfortable about completely automating batch processing.
Yes, the Batch Load is great. And that is exactly how I would like to automate the loading via command line... And then have a switch that can automatically post process, as well as print the setup sheet.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Sorry for the late reply. I feel rather nervous about making the post processing automatic. If there is a problem the first time you will know about it is when your cut goes wrong.
michael.r.gamber

But it wouldn't be something that everyone would want to use for exactly the reason you state. However, for companies like ours this would be a very useful feature to turn on once the process and inputs are verified to be good and can be trusted (by manually processing until a confidence level is reached). Yes there is risk certainly. But if you can trust your inputs are correct, then the output will be good as well.

Is this something that can be done via a plug-in, that either we can develop or pay you or someone to develop for us? Then all you would need to do in Sheetcam is create the parts necessary to allow the batch processing but no one would have access to it unless they obtain the plug-in?