how to edit a layer

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
fun2create

how to edit a layer

Post by fun2create »

Hi,

I'm very new to sheetcam. I have a part designed in a CAD program. I managged to outut a dxf from the topview.
I can create a new part in SheetCam and import the dxf.
But then I need to move or copy a part of the dxf lines to some other layer to generate the correct toolpaths.
But I can not make the correct selection of lines.
See attached picture. I want to select the outline of the part. But it always selects all the lines that are white. So I can copy or move all those lines to a layer. But how can I edit the layer and remove the lines I do not need?

I hope the problem is clear and that someone has a solution.

Thanks
Attachments
sheetcamedit.jpg
sheetcamedit.jpg (57.47 KiB) Viewed 5039 times
kbenz

Post by kbenz »

I always take it back to the cad program
kbenz

Post by kbenz »

if there is a line you don't want to cut, put it on another layer and don't assign a cut path to it
fun2create

Post by fun2create »

The problem is that I can not select the lines to move or copy to a layer.
All the lines that are white in the picture are selected at once. I can not select only the outline or only the line with the little curves.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

The most likely reason for this is that SheetCam thinks the whole white shape is one line. In that picture you posted there is a white dot at the end of the gear tooth shape. If you look at that point in your drawing you may well find that three lines meet at this point. If lines meet exactly, SheetCam thinks they are joined. If you change the straight line into one line rather than two that meet at the white dot, SheetCam should be able to work out what you intend.
fun2create

Post by fun2create »

The problem is that I have no influence on how the picture is created. It is an export from Inventor from the topside view of a 3D part.

I'm a little disappointed that I can not edit the lines in a layer.

Is there a dxf edit application that I could use for it?
ajfoxy

how to edit a layer

Post by ajfoxy »

I would imagine Adobe Illustrator or even Inkscape could edit lines in a DXF. I have changed many DXF in Illustrator, but your mileage may vary depending on the complexity of the DXF.

Cheers
ajfoxy

On 13 September 2014 03:00, fun2create <cor@mechamania.nl (cor@mechamania.nl)> wrote:
The problem is that I have no influence on how the picture is created. It is an export from Inventor from the topside view of a 3D part.

I'm a little disappointed that I can not edit the lines in a layer.

Is there a dxf edit application that I could use for it?

Kind regards
ajfoxy

Success comes in cans, failure in can'ts.
ajclay

Post by ajclay »

You'll have to go back to a CAD program as suggested earlier. The learning curve to learn a 2d CAD program isn't any harder than a art and drawing program.

Go to here and download Draftsight 2d. It's a FREE and fully functional CAD program that looks and Feels like AutoCAD from Autodesk. I believe it's made by the same guys the developed Solidworks.

The reason they give it away.... they want to get you involved with cad and move to 3d and buy the 3d program..

There is no reason not to download and install and start learning real 2d CAD. Plasma, that's all you need anyway..

I'll help. Email me direct if you want outside help.

ajclay@cox.net
ajclay

Post by ajclay »

Would help if I would of gave the link...

http://www.3ds.com/products-services/dr ... /overview/

Aj