making a plasma machine - pointers please!!!!

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
nobby

making a plasma machine - pointers please!!!!

Post by nobby »

Hello - finally received a pilot arc p-80 machine torch
1. question one - is this what I want a pilot arc machine head
Its a big old beast compared to the pt-31 head I had - minumum nozzle I think is 1.1mm - consumables= cheap.

2. can I run it with the head fixed to the y axis I.E. not have a z axis, can I lead in as I peirce 'if you like' ? - will I simply knacker the tips quicker.

3. If I do have to have a moving z axis, what is the minumum required as I will make it so, I.E. can the max lead in pierce height be the same as the rapid clearance height say 10mm, as I will make it simply to have 10 mm up and down

4. IF the body of the torch is 34mm, can I simply run that inside a 34 i.d. bearing housing.

5. Does the torch have to go up and down or can it simply be hinged - IF you like, the tip being3mm from the steel, when hinged[leant over] its 10mm - fire arc, lead in and straighten to 3mm

6. can I put 36 volts through a nema 17, the plan here then is to use a twin shaft nema 17 and have arms from it to the torch = hinge up and down
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

Hi

I have recently just built my own table and met all the issues you discuss.

It is running now, but was a steep learning curve, here are my tips...

Your torch is big, what material will you be cutting?

Yes you will need a floating z axis of some type, without it you will be getting very short tip life by piercing too close, it will also jam as the metal warps, and yes it WILL warp.

The z axis is two-stage, you need about 100mm of axis travel plus a floating head with about 10mm travel.

Yes you can mount the torch in anything that will grip it.

I tried a pilot arc machine and could not get it to work, too much electrical interference, in the I bought a Hypertherm unit and found instant success.

I think 36v is ok, its the current that kills, must be set correctly.

Here is a link to one of my threads...
http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7004-Pla ... t-question
nobby

hello

Post by nobby »

i just bought one of these
i am hoping it has 100mm of travel,
10mm for rapid
85mm for water tray