Rapid Clearance Option Change Request

Request and discuss new features
PK

Rapid Clearance Option Change Request

Post by PK »

Would it be possible to change or add an option to set a different rapid clearance setting from the Job option domain to the Operations domain?

This is what I'd like to do: When plasma cutting, I like to set the rapid clearance a bit high to help avoid ruining a part by a turned-up scrap piece causing a collision with the torch. But while using a drill function to pierce a mark for drilling later, some time is spent moving the Z axis to my high rapid clearance setting and there just isn't much chance of a collision at, say, 5mm above the material to rapid through all the pierce-drill operations.

Maybe leave the current Rapid clearance location setting where it is as a limit setting for safety. but add an option to the drill operation window to override (underride?) the Job option rapid clearance setting that is only respected through a drill operation. After the drill operation, the Job option setting would be restored for other, Jet cutting, operations.

Just a thought.... Thanks.

Paul
Les Newell
Site Admin

Re: Rapid Clearance Option Change Request

Post by Les Newell »

Hi PK,

It may be better to modify the post processor. Go to Options->machine->post processor and click on the 'edit post' button. At the end of the file you should find some code that looks like this:
function OnDrill()
OnRapid()
OnPenDown()
endZ = drillZ
OnMove()
OnPenUp()
endZ = safeZ
OnRapid()
end

Change it to:
function OnDrill()
OnRapid()
OnPenDown()
endZ = drillZ
OnMove()
OnPenUp()
endZ = 5
OnRapid()
end

This version hard codes the height to 5mm but you could use any height here.

PK wrote:Would it be possible to change or add an option to set a different rapid clearance setting from the Job option domain to the Operations domain?
PK

Post by PK »

Hummm... I think a fixed value wouldn't be a problem. I like that idea. Thanks Les. Again...

Paul